↬ | chapter twenty two

Start from the beginning

     Bellamy peered Magnolia's way, "You ready to take them down?"

     Her mouth dropped open just a tad at the comment, being as that wasn't the route she was intending on taking. "We might as well just surrender then and there. That's a stupid idea. Besides, not enough time to work the kinks out of that plan. "

     "Do you have a better idea then?" he sassed her. For just a millisecond, Maggie was reminded of the boy she made contact with when she first felt the soil underneath her boots, or the sun beating against her pale complexion.

     "Actually, I do, smartass," Maggie scolded him for doubting her.

     Straightening out the collar of his button down, he dramatically let his hands fall down to his sides, shaking his head gently. After all, it was stupid of him to assume she didn't have one. "Fair enough. Lay it on me, then."

     "What Maya was just talking about— the trash chute," she simply remarked, as if the answer was written on the walls and ceiling surrounding them, "We need to hurry— the vents aren't an option, so we need to get there without any suspicion, and fast."

     Following the brunette's lead, Bellamy walked hurriedly beside her, being sure to not run and make anyone that might pass by speculate any foul play. "And why's that?"

     "Do I really need to explain?" she huffed at his scattered thoughts in the moment, "It'll take too long, shithead. Elevator's our best bet." It was no secret that Maggie was much more savvy when it came to things and their whereabouts in the mountain. Her logic still stuck, even under pressure. Admittedly, it was a great asset. A perk of being held prisoner.

     Both on the Ark, and in Mount Weather.

     As if the action would make the doors open quicker, she slammed down on the button hastily. If Maya only had 20 minutes, that meant there wasn't a second that could go to waste. She'd be damned if she betrayed her friend— one of their leading allies that had repeatedly risked her place in her own home for her morality.

    Those who lived in the establishment didn't exactly benefit their situation, either. Multiple pit stops were made, and Bellamy and Maggie couldn't help but cringe every time the doors opened at a level that wasn't their desired one. Their hats shielded their eyes, making them simply seem like ordinary guards that were going about their merry way, as opposed to invaders that were taking down the mountain's corrupt government and general authority system.

     Everything eventually turned into nothing but a blur for them— it was mostly just a hand movement here or there, instead of actual conversation. Level 5 was the one that Magnolia knew like the back of her hand from all the time spent there, so finding the actual chute that Maya had referred to just a little bit prior was a walk in the park.

     Disregarding the smell that flowed into their nostrils, or at least trying their best to, they clamored through the darkened space, with nothing but their own better judgment to guide them through. Wrinkling her nose, Maggie zipped her lips to prevent her from gagging at the rotten food thats' odor was very much present. Surely, it wasn't as though someone went through and did a deep cleaning of it often, if ever.

     But, at the same time, they probably never anticipated some strangers using them as a way of transportation, incognito.

     "Here," Bellamy muttered under his breath as he pointed at something, but the girl couldn't see for shit, so she only wagged her head.

     "You and I both know damn well that I can't read that. What's it say?"

     "This is where we wanna be," he informed while grasping on the door without avail, "Help me try to open it," he scooted over, making some room for the Gray girl. Using all of the energy they could collectively muster up, they pushed and kicked at it, hoping that something, anything, would work in their favor.