153. bonus chapter (article)

Her Marvelous ComebackApril 29, 2020Article by Chelsea Fronds(continued)

April 29, 2020
Article by Chelsea Fronds
(continued)

As promised, let's dive into the reality of Poppy's contract with Marvel ending, what she's been up to over the years, and the question you are dying to have answered: Are she and Chris Evans together?

Poppy, how did you come to the decision to leave the role of Captain Marvel?

I lost my Dad during the filming of Age of Ultron. I missed several weeks of shooting and upon returning, the writers and I met to discuss how to handle moving forward. It was obvious that though about a month had passed, I was still not in a good place with my mental health. Grief has no specific timeline. This was the worst realization I had to face. Everyone needed me but I needed space, healing, and honestly, help.

How did the cast and crew treat you during before and during your departure? Do you have any regrets leaving the role?

Cast and crew were very supportive of me through that time. When they proposed to me that another actress could step in and take over the role moving forward if I wanted, I was relieved.

Though the friendships I formed through the filming of Ultron meant everything to me, they knew me well enough to know that my heart was no longer in it. My heart was broken, and moving on was healthiest for me and most fair for the fans. I am still close friends with many of my former cast-mates, especially Lizzie, Sebastian, and Mackie.

How did Brie Larson come into the picture and were you a part of her joining the team?

I had never met Brie before, actually, but was a huge fan of some of her work. I actually was brought in during the final stages of re-casting, and when she read her lines, I was in awe. As much as I loved the idea of being the incredible character Carol Danvers, I can't deny that Brie was born for the role. I have absolutely no regrets and I genuinely admire Brie as an actress. She was the right choice!

When you announced your hiatus from the film industry in 2017, did you have a plan for the future? And are you able to elaborate on the project you hinted at in the announcement?

A plan is about the farthest thing from what I had going on in my head. I just knew I could no longer handle the judgement and negativity circulating in the media - between my Marvel contract ending and my relationship ending, I was unable to truly get myself back on my feet. I did a few Netflix shows and movies between 2015 and the end of 2016, and while they were a productive distraction, I walked away feeling drained and unlike myself. At that point, several years had passed and I still truly had not faced every emotion I had encountered due to my father's unexpected passing. I thought my mother needed me during those times, but I think I needed her even more.

The project I hinted at was barely an idea in the back of my head, but it was something I knew I needed to do for myself. . .and eventually for others. It's a self-help book I wrote with the help of my good friend (former co-star) Mark Ruffalo. I reached out to him summer 2017 and ever since then, we've emailed frequently and have met up several times a year to work on it. It's not ready for publication yet, but I'm hoping to release if October 2020.

Your Marvel contract ended years ago, but the fans want to know, can we expect to see you in any future Marvel projects? Perhaps coming back as a new character?

Oh my gosh, I don't know if I'm allowed to answer that quite yet, but I think Tom Holland has already followed in Ruffalo's shoes when it comes to spoilers, so I'm probably less likely to get into any trouble myself.

Fine, but only because this is my first interview in three and a half years, hahaha. I will be working with Marvel again, yes. You likely won't be seeing me on the big screen again anytime soon, but I am working on a Disney+ project in the near future. That's all I'll say for now.

You know we have to ask - so, what is your friendship and/or relationship with Chris Evans like now, all these years later?

I told him you would be asking us questions about this, hahaha. Well, obviously Chris and I are friends again, and we have been for several years now, mostly out of the public eye due to my hiatus from the industry. The past is the past, and we are happy to have grown as people and as friends over the years. I will say, he did have some influence and input in my upcoming book, and for that I am really grateful.

So, just friends then?

Well. . .