152. bonus chapter (4 years later)

Her Marvelous ComebackApril 29, 2020Article by Chelsea Fronds

April 29, 2020
Article by Chelsea Fronds

Just one year after Avengers: Endgame hit theaters, fans are in store for yet another shocking twist in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. After four long years, Poppy Fitzgerald has stepped back into the spotlight, announcing her return to the film industry.

(Forgot who Poppy Fitzgerald is? No worries! We'll catch you up on everything you need to know.)

Throughout 2013 and 2014, Poppy was a frequent face on the Twitter and Instagram accounts of Marvel heroes such as Robert Downey Jr., Scarlett Johansson, Sebastian Stan, and fellow-newbie at the time, Elizabeth Olsen.

Oh, and did we mention she dated the Captain, Chris Evans?

The friendship and brewing relationship between Poppy and Chris was the talk of social media from 2013-2015 with speculation only further fueled by public comments friends like Anthony Mackie (Marvel's Falcon) and Sebastian Stan (the Winter Soldier) made online.

Avengers: Age of Ultron was the first and last time we caught a glimpse of Poppy and Chris on-screen together as Steve Rogers and Carol Danvers (a.k.a. Captain Marvel). Poppy's appearance in the movie was slightly underwhelming after what had seemed like months upon months spent shooting the film.

Fans loved Poppy's portrayal of Carol, don't get it wrong. However, the screen-time sources has projected for her prior to the film's release fell short. Captain Marvel was a very minor character in the film, but possibly hinted at a bigger future to come.

The disappointment continued when fans learned that Chris and Poppy had called their relationship quits for good. Their posts of one another were not taken down, but instead became buried on their profiles by pictures of their new, very separate lives.

While Poppy continued to have a presence on her online accounts, she surprised her fans with a statement in January 2017 that she would be stepping out of the limelight to focus on herself, her family, and a special but secret project.

Even more shocking was the 2018 announcement from the directors of the much-teased stand-alone film "Captain Marvel" - Poppy Fitzgerald would not be reprising her role.

Fans took to social media after news broke, reaching out to Poppy to ask why she was no longer a part of the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Of course, many speculated that the end of her relationship with Chris Evan's may have had a big part in it, though friends of the ex-couple denied all rumors.

While Poppy did not respond to rumors, fans did begin noticing that from late 2016 forward, she had interacted with several of Chris's Instagram posts. By late 2019, likes had turned into the occasional supportive comment. Friendly banter ensued and it was just enough to get fans talking.

Fast forward to November 2019, last fall; Poppy posted this adorable screenshot on her Instagram Story:

The actress had apparently ditched her natural locks for ginger spice, but that was not all that was new

The actress had apparently ditched her natural locks for ginger spice, but that was not all that was new. While former co-star Elizabeth had been friends with Poppy in the years following her exit from the MCU, Poppy had also tagged Iron Man himself in the post.

The story was posted shortly after the first trailer for Elizabeth Olsen's and Paul Bettany's Disney+ show WandaVision dropped, where we saw a new hairdo for Wanda teased.

So, what could it mean?

While it was unlikely that Poppy would come back as Captain Marvel (Brie Larson has already played the character in her stand-alone film as well as Avengers: Endgame), it was indication that Poppy was in regular communication with Marvel co-stars once again. A glimmer of hope for her fans.

Then. . .Chris Evans went live on Instagram with Sebastian Stan earlier this year.

During the livestream, Sebastian made a comment to Chris about a weekend trip to Rhode Island that they would be going on together in March

During the livestream, Sebastian made a comment to Chris about a weekend trip to Rhode Island that they would be going on together in March. Fans reported that Chris shook his head and Sebastian laughed, and said "Oh, she's gonna get me for that, huh?" The subject was then changed and the mystery "she" was not mentioned again throughout the stream.

Longtime Poppy fans, however, know that Poppy's mother lives in Rhode Island, and paparazzi had spotted Poppy there multiple times around Christmas and New Years. A reunion perhaps?

Well, today we can separate fact from fiction for you. We can squash all the rumors that have come up over the years, once and for all.

____
Author's note: I wrote this story in 2016 when I was a cringey teen but honestly I'm still a cringey adult even now. I thought it would be fun to write a few bonus chapters taking place years after the last bonus chapter (which would've taken place around 2016). Obviously many movies have come out since then and many changes in the MCU have occurred but for old time's sake, I'll add a few more chapters relative to the story :)
- Mar