one

Fiona Gallagher as Sophia Morrison

+++

"We're not hiring right now." The old woman behind the front desk says at the hotel in Charming, California as she looks the girl over with a disgusted look. "Sorry."

"No problem. Thank you for your time, ma'am." Sophia smiles kindly, adjusting her purse strap on her shoulder before she turns on her boot heel and heads back out to her car, a gray 1975 K5 Chevy Blazer. She's been back in Charming for almost a week and she's nearly broke with no place to stay. She's been slapped in the face with 'we're not hiring' about twenty times since she's stepped foot in town. She huffs to herself but keeps that optimistic smile on her face as she goes to the next business.

"Hey, are you guys hiring?" She asks with hope in her voice as she locks eyes with the small brunette behind the counter.

"Uh, yeah, actually we are." The girl smiles, grabbing a thin packet of papers with a black pen. "Here." Sophia sits at the counter, her eyes running over the words printed in faded black ink. "You, uh, hungry?"

"Oh, no, I'm fine." She smiles, glancing between the application and the brown eyes looking back at her. Her words are followed by a loud whale call from her stomach.

The brunette smiles back at her before disappearing behind a set of double doors. Sophia sighs, flipping the pen between her fingers as she fills the paperwork out.

The girl returns and sets a plate full of eggs, bacon and hash browns with a side of oatmeal. "I- uh- can't pay for this."

"Don't worry, honey. It's on the house." She gives her a playful wink with a cup of steaming coffee. "I'm Donna."

"Sophia." She shakes her hand. "Y'know, you're the first person who has been nice to me since I got back."

"Back from where?"

"Modesto." She mumbles around mouthful of food.

"What brings you back in town?"

"Just some family business." She gulps down the hot coffee. "But I was born here."

"Really?" Donna asks, refilling her mug.

She nods. "Here." Sophia hands her the filled out application.

"I'll go run this to my boss." Sophia smiles at her then takes in a small breath, running her hand through her dirty hair.

"You Sophia?" A man asks, glasses low on his nose as he looks between the application and the brunette sitting at the counter.

"Yessir." She nods, standing to shake his hand.

"I'm Bruce, the owner." He says. "Come back on Wednesday 'cause you got yourself an interview."

"Really?" Her face splits into a smile. "Okay! Thank you so much!" She laughs as she picks up her purse. "And thank you for being so kind, Donna."

She smiles brightly, handing her a scrap of napkin. "Here's my number, y'know, in case you need a friend or something."

"Thanks." She smiles back, pocketing the napkin. "I'll see you around." Sophia heads out the door, walking down the street to her car.

She hops into her Chevy and shoves the key into the ignition, swearing loudly when it stalls. "Stupid piece of shit." She huffs, popping the hood. She climbs up onto the lifted vehicle, sighing heavily at the engine. Sophia slides out from under the hood and drops it shut.

She looks across the street at the Teller-Morrow Automotive shop that her old man used to work at before he got sick. Sophia takes a deep breath before she grabs her purse from the SUV then jaywalks across the pavement, looking down at her boot clad feet.