Chapter 7

Chapter 7

The state that Lucifer found Jessica in was worse than he feared. Snuggled up in his bed crying into his pillow was not the strong - albeit sometime shy - Jessica Decker he had grown to lo... like.

"Oh Jess. Darling." He said sitting on the bed next to her. "Talk to me baby." The girl sat up slightly, leaning her head on Lucifer's shoulder.

"We were best friends when we were little. She was 9 when I was born and, despite the age gap, she was my big sister. See when I was 6 months old, my parents died in a car accident, my Aunt and Uncle took me in without any hesitation, and while Chloe was upset about my parents, she was thrilled for me to officially be her sister."

"Then when Uncle John died when I was 6 - Chloe was 15 - she began distancing herself. She threw herself into everything she could, school, extra curriculars, she even did that terrible movie Hot Tub High School. But she was never the same. My Aunt couldn't look after us both so sent me to England to be raised by some friends of the family. Chloe barely kept in touch, it was only when I invited her to my graduation when I was 16 that she really got back in contact. She was engaged to Dan at the time and said that she couldn't come because she was getting married the week later."

"When she invited me to the wedding, I thought things could finally get back to normal but then a year later, when she was pregnant with Trixie, I turned up unannounced to tell her that I had been accepted into Scotland Yard to train as a detective and found her 6 months pregnant. I wonder to this day if she would have even told me."

"When Trix was 2 I showed up again, motherhood had changed Chloe and she wanted to fix things. When I went back to England she called me everyday so that we could talk about the most random things. I became an Aunt to Trixie and things were good. We'd visit each other at least twice a year and I finally thought we had our relationship back. I even came here to warn her about Marcus Pierce, but she has clearly not changed as much as I thought to react like this." Jessica finished, sniffing slightly.

"I'm sorry to have laid all of that on you, but thank you for humoring me and listening." I said to Lucifer turning my head slightly to look at him. I gave him a watery smile, one that he returned before he spoke.

"That's what I'm here for love. I meant what I said before, I care about you, a lot actually. I want to know it all, the good, the bad and the ugly. I do disagree with you on one thing though. The detective has changed, she's a good friend and the way she spoke about you when you first arrived. I had never seen her so excited. She messed up tonight, but I do genuinely think she cares about you."

"Tell me one thing, Lucifer. Do you have feelings for my cousin?" Jessica asked bluntly, the truth was, what Lucifer said next would make the difference as to whether she even stayed in America.

"I'm not going to lie to you darling, I did, once upon a time." Jessica took a deep breath, the tears coming thick and fast. "But that was before I got this mark, before I met you. Now I've met you, I'm not letting you go. I'm not perfect, I'm the Devil for Dad's sake, but I want to try. I want to try for you."

Jessica smiled slightly, to tell the truth she was hurt that Lucifer ever had feelings for her cousin, but he had assured her that he only had eyes for her now and for now, that was enough. She knew he couldn't lie so what he said was the truth. She wasn't going to forget it, and her guard would be up for a while after his confession but she was happy to continue seeing where this would go. Where they could go, together.