Chapter 15 - Second date

Tsunami POV

We flew away from the palace and into the wilder parts of the sea, untouched by dragons. Riptide dived from the air and into the sea. I followed and dived. Then opened my mouth to gasp. Then swallowed too much water so I had to leap out and cough out all the water. I dived back in, with Riptide poking his head out and chuckling. I glared at him.

But there was actually a lot to gasp at. Coral grew everywhere. Rainbow pieces of sea plants that waved amongst the water gently. The light blue water was like a crystal glass display shelf for all of the swaying life. Fish darted everywhere, blending in with the colourful coral. Starfish clung onto the rocks amongst the sandy ground. Stingrays floated along and jellyfish floated like pink balloons. Animals I didn't even recognise scuttled and leaped and wiggled forward.

I looked over at Riptide in surprise. He smiled at me.

We swam for a long distance amongst the coral with fish darting around us in curiosity, not having met dragons before.  A turtle swam past, chasing a jellyfish. Riptide then pulled me onto the shore of an island.

"This was all planned, wasn't it?" I snorted at him. He ignored me. I followed him into the shade of the trees. Candles sat in the middle and the lights flickered.

"I never pegged you for a romantic," I teased. Riptide sheepishly grinned. "This is just a rest station, not a super cliché dinner, just in case you were thinking about it."

Around half an hour of chatting later, we both dived again and swam for a while more north. The coral eventually vanished into nothing, the sea grew colder and the fish changed into narwhals, orcas and penguins. Finally we climbed out again. Penguins dived to silver fish 

"We're at the border of the kingdom of sky," Riptide told me. "So we can't swim anymore."

"It's fine," I sighed and lay back on the sand, gazing at the sunset. Shades of pink, yellow, red, blue, black and purple filled the sky. Me and Riptide lay gazing until the sun vanished into where the clear, blue sea met with the horizon.

"We should go," I finally broke the serene silence.

"Yeah." Riptide took off, and I admired his wingspan for a moment before leaping after him. The night was dark but clear, and with my night vision I could see everything.

We finally reached Summer Palace when all three moons had risen, three waning shapes in the sky. 

"So, are you staying in the Palace now?"

"Yep. Coral seems to have a change of heart."

I shrugged. "I guess me being captured changed her mind. Anyway, then...goodnight."

"Yeah, good night," and began climbing. I had reached halfway before–

"I love you."

I stumbled over the step and turned, but Riptide was already gone. That, however, didn't stop the warm fuzzy feeling from spreading.

"I love you too, squid brain." I called softly. He wouldn't hear me, but it didn't matter.

shorter chapter this time but idk what else to put