Putting the pieces together, I immediately understood. She was crying because of Lexa. With Matthew dead, the conclave has started, or will be very soon. Costia was worried about Lexa's safety and hugged me because she knew Lexa and I were close. Trying my best to comfort her, I said the one thing that I thought would calm her down... and myself.

"Lexa will win the conclave, Costia." I said comfortingly, whether I was trying to comfort her more or myself, I knew I was telling the truth.

Her arms were wrapped around herself in a comforting manner, as if she was trying to hug herself and convince herself everything would be ok.

"How can you be so sure? How can you possibly know that Lexa will be ok?" She asked me, her voice wavering with every word. Almost as if she was just holding herself back from breaking down.

"I am sure because I have to be..." I said softly. "I am sure because she is all that I have left, Costia. If she were to die, I'd have nothing, and I for damn sure would not be able to put anyone else's life before mine. I wouldn't... couldn't, protect whoever took Lexa from me." I finished sadly, my own voice wavering with the tears I was currently holding at bay.

She got a sad and resigned look in her eyes at my words, yet there was still hope that Lexa would live inside of them.

"You love her, don't you James?" She asked me, with a look that just said don't lie to me.

Sighing, I knew I couldn't lie to her and tell her I didn't. I put my heart into my words and the words themselves basically screamed that I loved Lexa.

"Yes, yes I do Costia. I love Lexa, with everything that I have." I told her, putting everything that I had left into my words. Just to show her how much I meant what I said. "But, I know that you love her too... and I know that she loves you in return."

It hurt me to say this to her, but I wanted to let Costia know that I wouldn't try and take Lexa from her. "She is happy with you, and her happiness is all that I want for her, and because of that, I will not stand between you two. You have my word Costia, and when she wins the conclave and becomes Heda, we will stand by her side, together. You as her lover, and myself as her shield." I finished strongly, my determination and raw honesty filling each word, letting Costia know she had my blessing.

As I finished speaking, a large grin formed on her lips and she looked at me thankfully. "Thank you James, your words mean so much to me." She said thankfully and honestly.

It seemed my words did as intended, and Costia found comfort within them. However, we may have been filled with hope... but our guts were filled with worry, and all we could do was wait.

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

It was hours later when our worries were finally doused. A knock echoed through my room and Costia walked to the doors of my quarters nearly robotically. She hid it well, but she was nearly vibrating with the amount of anxiety she was feeling.

I didn't know who knocked on my doors, nor could I hear the words that were exchanged. But what I could hear, was a very girly, and very excited squeal of happiness.

I let out a sigh of relief, knowing that must mean that Lexa had won the conclave. It felt as if the Pauna itself had just left its spot upon my shoulders. It was a ginormous weight that was lifted off of me and I let out a small chuckle of relief.

Running back into my room, nearly bouncing with excitement, was Costia. "Well, what is the news?" I asked with a smile, already knowing that whatever it was must be good.

"Heda has summoned us to the throne room." She said giddily, preferring to use Lexa's new title.

Her words seemed to make my own smile even wider. "Well then, best not leave our commander waiting yes?" I asked joking.

It was quite painful to dress in my armour and I cringed at how long it took, but it was worth it to see Lexa again. Just knowing that she was safe made me feel as if I was floating. With Costia walking at my side, I hobbled along to the throne room, using my trusty spear for support.

As the two throne room guards were expecting us, they nodded in respect and one of them went to inform the Heda of our arrival.

He returned merely a minute later and they motioned for us to step inside. Doing so, we were greeted with the sight of our beloved Lexa sitting in the throne, emitting a frighteningly drowning aura of authority.

We moved to closer until Heda held up a hand, signaling for us to stop infront of her throne. Even though she was our friend, she was still Heda and her title demanded respect. We bowed our heads and awaited for our Heda's next command.

"Leave us..." Lexa said to the guards around the throne room. They moved quickly, leaving us alone with her.

We stayed still, our heads still bowed, looking at the ground for a tense minute. Hearing Heda get up from her throne slowly and walk towards us, it was becoming very hard to resist the huge smile that was threatening to form.

Once she was close enough, Lexa pulled Costia and I into a hug and laughed loudly, and in return, we lost composure and laughed as well.

"I am so ha-" Costia was suddenly cut off as Lexa kissed her deeply before turning to me and flashed me a bright smile.

"I'm glad you're alive, James." She said happily, with her beautiful smile in place.

"As am I, my Heda." I said in return, staring into her eyes with a smile of my own.

"Now tell me, what happened during the hunting trip, and leave nothing out." Lexa said, her beautiful face turning serious, wanting to know how the previous Heda died, and how I become injured.