Original Edition: 42. The Man

Start from the beginning

"Can't you make up an excuse and come with me?"

"No, you should have told me in advance."

"Raquel!" Carlos shouts my name in a hurry. Ares looks at him, from head to toe.

"Who is he?"

"A classmate, I really must go," clinging to my self-control I give him one last smile and walk away from him.

I'm about to catch up with my friends when Ares appears walking beside me, and I give him a strange look.

"What are you doing?"

"I'm coming with you," he informs me as if it were a fact. "I am your 'friend'," again he makes those quotation marks with his fingers. "So I may as well be part of a celebration of friends."

I narrow my eyes and open my mouth to protest, but Ares steps forward to greet Dani. He introduces himself to Carlos, giving him a firm handshake.

Dani gives me a look of what the hell...? And I answer her with a confused shrug.

"Well, where are we going?" Ares asks, smiling with his charisma at full volume. Dani smiles back.

"We thought about going to the café on Main Street."

Ares gives us a confused look.

"Do you celebrate with coffee?" Dani arches an eyebrow.

"Yes. Any problem with that?"

He raises his hands peacefully.

"No, none, but I have alcohol in my house," Ares offers.

Ha! Trying to take me to your territory, Greek god?

Nice try.

Carlos' face lights up.

"Really?"

Ares nods, finding an ally.

"Yes, and of very good quality."

Carlos looks at us.

"Shall we go?"

Dani and I exchange glances, but she saves the day.

"No, thank you, we prefer coffee."

Carlos pouts.

"But..." Dani grabs his arm, digging her nails into it. "Ow! Coffee! Yes, coffee is better."

Ares looks disappointed.

"Well, I guess I'll have to drink alone with Apolo."

Dani looks at him suddenly.

"Apolo?"

He puts his hands in his jacket pockets.

"Yes, he must be so lonely at home."

Dani hesitates and I can see that now she really wants to go to Ares' house.

How manipulative!

He bought Carlos with alcohol and Dani with Apolo. His moves are smart, I must admit. Dani doesn't say anything, keeps her eyes on the ground. I know she won't say she wants to go out loud, because she will always put our friendship first, as she always has. She's leaving the decision in my hands and that's why I love her so much.

Carlos and Dani want to go and that makes me feel like the bad guy if I say no, and Ares knows that. He is very smart to manipulate, but not to make things the right way with me. That's where his brain fails him.

"All right, let's go with him," I report, surrendering.

My house is at the back of theirs, I just have to go with them, let them get comfortable and leave. It sounds like an easy plan, but every time I've gone to Ares' house, I've ended up in bed with him, or on the couch. There's something inside me that tells me this time will be different.