CHAPTER 33: COMPLICATIONS.

Start from the beginning

Could Isioma be serious about this issue, or was she just exaggerating her ordeal out of plain assumptions? What if what happened with Isioma's test result was a mistake, or an ugly coincidence that involved Candice being in Mr. Rochas' office just when Isioma came, which made her assume that Candice was behind her failure?

It could be possible, but then again, Mike couldn't just give Candice the benefit of the doubt. He had to make his own personal findings for clarity, and that involved hearing from the horse's mouth too.

"Mike?"

Michael snapped out of his worries on hearing his name.

Lo and behold, it was Candice herself who'd just spoken, and she was approaching them with poise.

Isioma's stomach churned on seeing her, but she couldn't say or do anything but rise up to her feet with Michael. Not that she didn't want to attack Candice at first sight, or that she was afraid of her or anything, but she just kept her cool due to the respect she had for the lecturers' block. If she actually fights Candice in this building, she could get into big trouble, and she really didn't want that.

Not at all.

"Mike, what're you doing here?" Candice halted before them, grinning innocently.

"Business, as usual." Mike said, noticing the way she ignored Isioma as if she was invisible.

"Oh, that's great." Candice noticed Mike's odd mood. "But, um, what's with the frown, though? You look and sound pissed."

"Well, I guess I should be, especially after knowing what you've done."

"What I've done?" Candice scoffed, arms crossed. "What did I do? What did she tell you?"

"See, save the act, Candice. I know you." Mike spoke boldly. "Why would you do something as dirty as that to this lady, huh?"

Candice shot Isioma a furious look before glaring at Mike. "Impressive. So you just believed the words of a total stranger without seeking my own side of the story, yeah?"

"So, wait, are you agreeing that you actually did what she said? That you slept with her lecturer to spite her?"

"So what if I did?" Candice shrugged. "I'm an adult. My sexual life isn't anyone's concern."

Mike shook his head in utter shock. "My God!"

"You see what I was saying?" Isioma chipped in, angrily. "Your sister is a petty slut, and she has no conscience!"

"Hey, you better keep your stinking mouth shut there." Candice warned, striking Isioma a death glare.

"Or what?" Isioma challenged her, moving forward.

Mike, however, intervened by gripping Isioma's shoulder, prompting her to a halt.

"Relax." He said. "I'll handle this."

Isioma nodded, despite the blazing inferno of anger coursing through her veins.

"I can't believe this." Mike turned to his sister, intrigued by the whole issue. "What is wrong with you, Candice? I know this lecturer in question, 'cause I've worked for a close colleague of his before. He's married with three kids. How could you stoop so low?"

"Nah, I wouldn't call it stooping low, though." Candice joked airily. "This is a well-paid lecturer with a PhD we are talkin' 'bout here. My aim was pretty high."

Mike was on the verge of losing his cool. "Wait, you think this is funny?"

Candice shrugged again, smiling. "Yeah, it actually is. Can't you see I'm happy?"