Chapter Twenty Three: We'll Go From There

Thursday, March 10, 1927. Between Georgetown and New York City, New York. 

Aaron and Beth slid into the seats on the left side of the aisle, and Alex and John sat down across from them on the right. Alex had wanted to sit next to Beth, but Aaron had argued him down, saying he needed to brief Beth on what the Dowager Countess was like, and he was the only one who had actually met her, albeit very briefly. 

"This is outrageous," John said, waving his hand at the shabby train car. "I told you to pay for first class."

Aaron shook his head. "There is no more first class, remember."

"Everyone is equal now," Alex added, sarcasm lacing his tone. 

"I demand first class!" Beth declared, sitting up straight and trying to speak in an imperious tone. "I am the Princess Elizabeth Schuyler."

Aaron frantically shushed her, and John burst out laughing. 

"That could have been a disaster," Alex said. "Why did you do that?"

"Says the person who yells about auditions from our window," John grumbled. Alex didn't respond. 

Beth didn't really know why she had done it. Momentary flights of fancy were dangerous and she should have known better. Finally, she shrugged and said "I wanted to see how it felt to say I was her."

"Well maybe we should practice in a less dangerous way," Aaron scommented wryly, then turned his attention to Beth. "So, Eliza. In Philadelphia, your first challenge will be the Dowager Countess's lady in waiting, Theo. The Countess Theodosia Bartow Prevost. No one has access to Her Majesty without her.

John shivered. "She must be quite the dragon, to keep all the impostors at bay."

Aaron shook his head. "It was quite the opposite when I knew her. Theo was beautiful, kind, and betrothed to Jacques Prevost. I never had a chance."

"You were both ten," John reminded him. "You never would have had a chance anyway."

"No, I would have," Aaron contradicted him. "She gave me a watch studded with diamonds once. It was because her father was going to get rid of it, but still."

"Did you love her?" Beth asked, looking at Aaron. He'd never seemed very romantic, being the only one of the trio who had never jokingly flirted with her, but maybe that was because he was still pining for his first love.

Aaron smiled dreamily, looking out the window at the countryside and forest speeding past. "As much as you can at ten."

Childhood friends falling in love. Beth found the idea adorable. Unfortunately, this Theo was probably married by now, so whatever torch Aaron still carried for her seemed destined to go out. 

Alex looked over at Aaron. "I never heard this story before. Well, if you were so close, I'm sure she'll be happy to see you."

Aaron shook his head. "I doubt it. Whatever we had had probably gone with the old New York, like everything else."

"But if not?" he queered. "You wouldn't dream of cheating with her, would you?"

Aaron thought about it for a second, then to Beth's shock, he nodded. "For Theo, I would do anything. If by some miracle she's happy to see me, I'll do everything I can to win her."

Beth glared at Aaron. "You better not!" she told him sharply. "That's a horrible thing to do."

He nodded, but she knew he wasn't convinced. Deciding to ignore him, Beth looked out the window. The scenery was mundane, but it was preferable to boys sometimes. Suddenly though, a frightening thought struck her. "What do we do if Theo won't let us in."

Alex bit his lip, then replied. "I'm not sure. We'll just have to go from there, I guess. We'll figure something out."

Beth sighed, clasping her hands together in worry. She had never even considered that she wouldn't be allowed to meet with the Dowager Countess. Were princesses really this concerned over every little thing. She felt like a royal mess as opposed to a princess. This was her only chance to find her family, she couldn't screw it up. If Theo wouldn't let her in, Beth would be reduced to searching for the bridge from her dreams and hoping someone would find her there.

Alex must have noticed her worry, because he commented on it. "Take a deep breath. Soon we'll know. There's nothing else we can do till then. Whatever happens, we'll go from there."

Beth tried to take his advice and calm her nerves. It was a lovely day after all. There was only one last stop in New York City, and then they were home free. Philadelphia would be just a quick train ride through New Jersey away. 

As if he could hear her thoughts, John leaned across the aisle and whispered to them. "It's a really nice day for totally illegal things to go on, don't you think?"

Beth smiled, but tried to hide it behind a hand. Someone might ask what was so funny, and she couldn't possibly say. 

The rest of the train ride to New York City went smoothly, and before they knew it, the train was pulling into Penn Station. As they passed into the darkness of the indoor platform, Beth let out a small sigh of relief. "We're almost out," she said aloud, hardly able to believe it,  and got murmurs of agreement from some of the others. Unsurprisingly, the sentiment was a common one. 

 The train pulled to a stop, and a few moments later, a man came down the aisle between the seats. It was a uniformed redcoat and his face was grim. Beth and her group were in the first seats, so he came to a stop right in front of them and said two words that made her blood freeze in her veins. "Papers, please."