Chapter Ten: Of Least Importance

Tuesday, March 1, 1927. Georgetown, New York.

Deputy Commissioner John Andre stood outside the door to Commissioner Howe's office, trying not to feel too nervous. Howe had requested that Andre come see him, something he usually only did when someone had done something wrong. Doing something wrong was not a good thing to do in George Fredrick's New York. 

"You can go in now," Commissioner Howe's secretary called out to Andre, opening the door, then holding it open for him. 

Andre thought his office was fancy, but that was before he had seen Howe's. It was twice as large as his own, all dark wood, fancy paintings, and red velvet. The drapes and seating were all covered in red velvet. Andre wouldn't be surprised if the flag hanging limply in one corner was made of velvet (assuming it was possible to make velvet flags). 

Howe himself sat behind a dark wood desk on the far wall. He was tall and well built, with wisps of greying brown hair peeking out from beneath a regulation officer's cap, and steely greyish brown eyes. He was in full redcoat uniform except for the iconic red coat itself. That was hanging on a coat rack to Andre's left. Howe was drumming his fingers on the wood of said desk, empty except for a Prussian style helmet, a pen, and a single sheet of paper. The commissioner motioned for him to be seated, so Andre did. 

"Deputy Commissioner Andre," Howe said, directing a cold smile at him. "How are you liking your new post?"

"Oh, it's very nice sir," Andre replied. "I have a lovely view of the Hudson River and the work is very enjoyable. I'm glad to do anything that benefits our glorious country." 

"Good," Howe affirmed. "You know the work you do is very important. It is your duty to gather information, evaluate it for importance, and pass it on to me. You are aware the information you've collected has led to the arrests of traitors to the country, yes?"

"Yes sir," Andre said. "I do try to keep informed."

Howe's smile was even more forced than it had been at the beginning of their conversation. "I'm glad, since that's your job. You clearly know what you're supposed to be doing and how important it is, so I have just one question."

"Yes sir," Andre asked, biting his lip. A dangerous tone had crept into Commissioner Howe's voice as he said those last words. Now he had now doubt the commissioner was about to chew him out over something or other. 

"Last week you filed all your reports correctly and I revived them on time, just as I should have. You filed these reports according to the system. You do understand the system, don't you?"

Not sure where this was going, Andre nodded. "Yes sir. I have to file the reports according to whether they are rumors or actual facts collected by our agents. Then I have to file them according to importance. Of Most Importance is for serious or important things in need of immediate action. Of Some Importance is for moderately serious pieces of news that may need action to be taken. Of Least Importance is for the most preposterous rumors. The useless gossip that will never come to anything."

Howe pursed his lips, not even trying to smile anymore. "You clearly have a good knowledge of the filing system, so I can't see any reason for this," He tapped the paper on his desk. "You filed a report about a rumor of a girl claiming to be Princess Elizabeth Schuyler in Of Least Importance. OF LEAST IMPORTANCE! This is not a matter of least importance! This girl could be spearheading a rebellion, and we wouldn't even know until it was too late, because we never investigated, because you marked it as OF LEAST IMPORTANCE!"

"The news was brought in by two unreliable young women," Andre defended himself, looking down at the carpet to avoid Howe's eyes, which were smoldering with fury. "Peggy Shippen and Maria Lewis are not trustworthy sources. And even if what they said is true, there's probably something wrong with this girl's head. If someone wants to indulge her, that's their bad decision. There's no rumors of rebellion, or anything like that."

Howe scowled at him. "Clearly you don't understand the people. Any possibility, however crazy and far fetched, that a member of the royal family survived is grounds for rebellion. Those who wouldn't speak against us ordinarily will be moved to action by a symbol like The Princess Elizabeth. And even if most people don't believe it's real, there will always be conspiracy theorists, insurrectionists, malcontents, and staunch monarchists. They will take any opportunity to overthrow us, however trivial. That is why we take rumors about the Schuylers so seriously, not because we believe one of them could have survived, but because of the powerful symbol such a lie could be."

Andre swallowed. He looked up to Howe, and looking like such an idiot in front of him was painful. "I'm sorry sir." He said.

"Sorry does not cut it!" Howe snapped. "I'm letting you keep your job because I see potential in you. Now prove to me that I have not made a mistake. You have one month to bring the girl in. Question her, assess the threat, and MAKE SURE IT ENDS. Whether that be with her life or a promise to be a good and loyal comrade the rest of her days, I do not care. If you don't fix this, you're out, soldier. Dismissed!"

Numbly, Andre got up from his chair and turned toward the door. One month. One month to find this girl or face the consequences. He must not fail, whatever it took. Even if it meant firing his father's gun, Andre would do it. It was his duty. His duty to Howe and by extension General Secretary Fredrick, his duty to the people of Georgetown and New York, and his duty to himself. His duty to prove that he could pull the trigger to defend the home he so loved.  

Historical Note: "Prussian style helmet" refers to the type of helmet known as a pickelhaub and you can probably picture one if I tell you "think of those WWI helmets with the stupid spike on the top" (if not, look it up). They're referred to as Prussian style, because they were used by Prussians before they became standard for the German Empire's army (until 1916). The American army also used these helmets some in the post-civil war years of the 1800's when Prussian anything was in fashion, so Howe's could be either a trophy or his own.