Chapter Twenty: One Last Plan For One Last Shot

Wednesday, March 9, 1927. Georgetown, New York. 

Alex and Beth reached the ground and ran down the alleyway. It was fully dark out now, and even darker in the nearly enclosed space. Once Beth tripped over something, and Alex had to grab her and pull her along. 

"What's going on!" She demanded. "Explain it to me Alex!"

He didn't answer, just hurried to the end of the alley and out into the street. John and Aaron were standing near the main entrance to the theater, looking around. Seeing Alex and Beth, they rushed over. 

"There's been a disaster!" Aaron exclaimed, eyes wide. "Our house has been raided. We're done for if we go back there."

Alex's heart dropped. There was so much incriminating evidence there. All his forgery equipment, several illegal books, stolen goods. Howe could convict him on any charge he wanted. Even attempted murder if Lee decided to talk. 

"Don't worry," Aaron soothed him. "I heard they brought Beth in this morning, so I took our exit papers and money with me when I left today as a precaution."

Alex breathed a sigh of relief, and beside him, he heard Beth do the same. They still had a shot at getting out, but John and Aaron didn't know that yet. Alex reached into his pocket and produced Beth's diamond, holding it up so it shone in the moonlight. When times were quieter, he would have to wonder how such a thing found its way into her clothes. Her family must have been rich, surely. Maybe even nobles. 

John realized what he was holding first. "Sweet mother of God!" he exclaimed, taking a closer look. "Who did you have to kill to get your hands on that?" Aaron just stared in silent awe.

"She had it all along," Alex explained, pointing to Beth.

She blushed a little in embarrassment and said. "I didn't trust any of you with it."

"With friends like these two, I don't blame you," Aaron told her. Alex pretended to be offended, but John just grinned widely.

"All is forgiven, since you're going to get us out of here," John told her, the joy in his voice evident. "I love you Beth!" John hugged Beth tightly, then swung the laughing girl around. 

Alex felt a little pang of jealousy, but he ignored it. Why should he be jealous that two of his friends were getting along. "Can I trust you to get Beth's exit papers?" he asked John, holding out the diamond. 

His friend nodded and took it. "I talked my way into one of King George's parties once and made it out alive. I think I can manage blank exit papers. Just make sure you have the right pen for forging the ink," Alex bit his lip. His forging pens, the same type that were issued to the customs officers, were back at their home.

"Here," Beth reached into one of her pockets and pulled out several bills. "I worked an extra shift this week. Take it and find good pens."

"Thank you," Alex told her, taking the money. 

"What should I do?" Aaron asked. 

Alex thought for a moment. What else did they have to do? With the right papers, all that was left was transportation. "Go check the train schedules, I guess. Find the earliest one you can."

"We don't have to," Beth told them. "There's an early morning train leaving from North Station. We'll meet you there." 

With that, the two of them walked off down one street, and John sprinted down another. Alex was left standing alone, looking up at the magnificent Lincoln Theater. He was really going to leave everything he had ever known behind. Alex could see his younger self running down this road, climbing that wall over there. He realized with a shock that he didn't want to leave. But Alex also knew that he couldn't stay and live under King George's laws any longer. Washington DC could be nice, but why stop there? Maybe he'd go all the way down to Texas with the reward money. He'd heard they had democratic elections there. The future was full of possibility. Soon he would have his first train ride. 

We're going to Philadelphia on a train, Alex thought happily. That means we get to stay in a real hotel, with nice beds and hot food. No, the future couldn't be more exciting. 

Feeling much more positive, he went off to see who was selling pens in the middle of the night.  Hopefully someone, because this was their last shot. 

Historical Note: There was actually no train station in Albany in 1927. The station they discuss is a real station, which opened in 1968. The station is actually known as Albany-Rensselaer Station, but I don't see the George Fredrick regime leaving their main train station with both the name of their old city and their last queen's family, so it has been changed to North Station. This is in reference to Lord North, who was Prime Minister during the Revolutionary war, and I imagine is important in George Frederick's government here.