⇒ THE EDGE OF THE WORLD

☼☼☼☼☼☼

☼☼☼☼☼☼

THE FOLD surrounded her. Shadows swirling in patterns she didn't recognize, screams and shrieks mixing together in a cacophony of fear, accompanying the horrifying sight she saw before her. Volcra swarmed the skiff, like vultures swooping down on their prey, tearing them limb from limb.

The darkness was growing bigger, stronger, enveloping all of them until...

Light burst forth and pierced the darkness, silvery and golden and all the colors she never dreamed of.

It wrapped around her, engulfing the curves of her body, taunting her. She screamed.

☼☼☼☼☼☼

REYKA JOLTED AWAKE coming face to face with the man who'd insisted she'd ride with him. The coach jerked back and forth, the rocky road an indication that they were finally reaching their destination near the edge of the Fold.

The Darkling was staring at her, nothing behind his eyes but his lips perking up in a small smile. She wondered if it was real.

"Sleep well?" He asked, causing Reyka to fidget under his gaze. She straightened up and pressed her hands against her kefta, smoothing it down.

She nodded, "I would've slept better in the Etherealki carriage," She shot at the General for good measure, making it clear that she did not approve of him switching up plans like this. He chuckled at her comment, and a bubble inside of Reyka's chest popped, soothing her as she relaxed into her seat.

The Darkling could laugh? Sometimes she forgot that just like the rest of them, he was human. That he felt laughter and sadness and anger like they all did. "This coach isn't the most comfortable I'll admit," He spoke quietly, a smile dangling on the edge of his lips. Reyka couldn't help but furrow her brows at the gesture. The smiles he wore had always been small, conniving things, but here he seemed to actually be enjoying himself.

"So why do you use it?" She asked, the words falling from her lips before she could stop them.

The Darkling's lips turned downward and his gaze remained fixated on her. "I'm the General of the Second Army and advisor to the King, it is what my status demands."

"Don't you ever get tired?"

His brows knit themselves together at the question and Reyka continued to speak.

"Of pretending to be something you're not?" She didn't know what entity had possessed her to talk this way to the man who could end her life with a clap of his fingers, but it emboldened her, "You clearly despise the King, but yet you continue to act like his lapdog, why?"

The Darkling inhaled deeply, biting down on his lower lip, "Because I have no other choice. I want to see Ravka become a safe place for the Grisha and that means following the King's orders."