Chapter 24 - Through thick and thin

I looked up to see my one and only best friend, standing in the doorway, a baseball bat in her hand, and a not so friendly expression on my face. I was shocked. Niki had always been the sweet and rather quiet friend so to see her like this was way out of character. My father chuckled a little.

"Oh look another girl who thinks she owns the world," he said cockily. "Sweetheart I would advise you to leave or you could get seriously hurt,"

He walked over to her and was about to place his hand on her shoulder to guide her out when she tackled him to the ground. Bearing in mind she was 5.5" and my dad was easily 6". My dad winced in pain as she held him down. 

"I think that I can cope just fine," she said. "Now I'm gonna let you up and you are gonna get in your pathetic Mercedes and drive far away."

"You can't tell me what to do!" He protested. Niki chuckled slightly.

"Alright stay if you want and I'll call the police,"

"And say what? You have no proof!" he snarled. Niki looked at me for help.

"Actually, Nick does have home security cameras in here so they caught everything," I said. I wasn't even lying, Nick told me he had put some in after there was a burglary in the neighbourhood a few months ago. I thought he was being paranoid but I have never been so grateful to be wrong. My dad sighed in defeat.

"Fine,"

Niki looked over at me for reassurance and I nodded. She slowly loosened her grip on my dad and he scrambled to his feet. He walked over to my mum and grabbed her arm.

"Come on dear, we don't need her," he muttered. My mum nodded and gave me an icy cold glare before they both walked out of the flat, slamming the door behind them. Niki immediately engulfed me in her embrace.

"Oh my God! Y/n are you ok? You left your purse with me and I texted you but you didn't reply and I'm so sorry I didn't get here sooner!" she blabbered, tears rushing down her face. I sobbed slightly into her shoulder.

"I'm fine Niki, it's not your fault. I'm just glad you're here now," I said softly. She held me for a few more minutes, rubbing my back and giving me positive encouragements. She was one of the few people I felt truly safe with. I had just about calmed down when I heard the door open behind us. I felt my heart drop as I looked up from Niki's shoulder. A sigh of relief escaped my lips when I looked up and saw Nick. He looked both shocked and relieved to see me.

"Y/n? What are you do- are you crying? Oh my God, what happened?" He said as he rushed over to hug me.

"I've got to get home now but she'll explain everything," Niki said softly. Nick nodded and quietly thanked her as she walked out.

"Mum and Dad they-" I couldn't even bear to finish my sentence and just squeezed him tightly, tears dripping down my cheeks. He kissed the top of my head.

"Shhhh, it's ok you're ok." He said softly "You didn't actually ask them to take you back did you?" I nodded into his chest and he sighed.

"Y/n I am so sorry I can't believe I fell for their lies again," he said, obviously frustrated with himself. I looked up at him.

"It's not your fault, they're masters of manipulation," I said reassuringly. He sighed.

"Still, I've known them my whole life I should be able to tell when they're lying," He looked so sad, I couldn't bear to see him like this.

"Nick, listen to me. It's not your fault. They're deranged, money-obsessed psychopaths who latch onto any bit of power they can find. Don't beat yourself up over it all I got was a couple of bruises," I said softly.