JAPANESE & KOREAN URBAN LEGENDS

AKA MANTO (RED CAPE)

Aka Manto, also known as Red Cape, is a malicious spirit according to Japanese urban legend. Aka Manto haunts public bathrooms, particularly the female bathrooms in public schools. He asks his victims a series of questions before killing them.

Aka Manto used to be a handsome young man when he was alive, most likely a high school student. He was often seen wearing a distinctive red cape. Because of his good looks, many teenage girls admired him and constantly hounded on him.

It is unknown what happened next, but it is most likely that while hiding in the last stall of a female bathroom to hide from his frantic admirers, Aka Manto somehow died.

After his death, Aka Manto returned as an evil spirit and promised a brutal death to anyone who entered the last stall of a female bathroom.

He appears in front of his victim, wearing a red cape and a white mask.

He then asks his victim "Which one do you prefer, the red cloak or blue cloak? Alternatively, he asks, "Which one do you prefer, the red toilet paper or the blue toilet paper?"

If the victim chooses red, Aka Manto slits their throats or decapitates them with a knife. The blood, which flows from their necks and onto their clothes, makes it appear as if they are wearing red clothes.

If the victim chooses blue, he strangles them until their face turns blue or they die of suffocation. In some versions, his hands emerge from the toilet instead in order to strangle them.

Many stories influenced the legend of Aka Manto. One of them was the story of Kainade, another toilet dwelling monster. Kainade lurks in the bathrooms of old houses in Kyoto and will only show up on February 3rd, the Setsubun festival in Japan (Kainade). When someone squats over a traditional Japanese toilet, a pair of hands come up to touch you bottom. The only way to stop him is to squat and ask "white paper or red paper?" Then he'll leave you alone.

This story is based off the true crime story of "ao getto" murder, or blue blanket murder (Japanese). In Fukui, Japan in 1906, three family members were taken by a man wearing a blue blanket over his head. It was assuming they were brutally murdered. Due to the documents never being released in English, I am unsure how the investigation of the crime ended.

HOPE EVERYONE ENJOYED READING THIS.

VOTE AND COMMENT.

~With love

ADHEENA