Chapter 1 - Misunderstood

Start from the beginning

        "But I felt something that night, Irina, I really did."

        "We were both drunk and high. I'm...I'm so sorry..."

        Memories of that night began to flash into my mind.

        "What if whales could talk?" Nick said in a dazed voice.

        "Well shit, I don't know! But I think everything can talk. If you listen real close, even the joint can talk," I said as I held the joint up to my ear, listening to the almost silent burning of the paper. "See? Listen!"

        Nick burst out into laughter, blowing out a puff of smoke.

        "I didn't hear nothing," he shook his head. "Nothin' at all."

        "Give it a chance!" I whined. "Now where's the god damn chips?" I started to look around the room.

        "Ah, this is great Irina. You know I would kiss you right now if I could?"

        "Oh?" I asked, the drug induced haze causing my brain to react slower. 

        "Yeah," he nodded, his speech slurred. "Like this."

        Before I could protest, his lips were on mine. The kiss was short and I did not return it, my eyes wide open.

        "What've you got to lose, Irina?" he asked in his slurred speech, tryng to sound sexually enticing.

        "You're right," I whispered crashing my lips onto his own. I wove my fingers through his thin silky hair as he cupped my face and greedily pulled me closer to him, running his hands along my body and caressing whatever curve he could find, his hands slipping under my clothes and touching my breasts over my bra

        . In my cloudy state, I pulled my own shirt over my head and unhooked my bra, unbuttoning and sliding out of my bootlegged jeans and my panties to reveal myself to him, biting my lip as I felt a blush creep up in my cheeks.

        "You like what you see?" I asked sheepishly.

        "I never thought I'd see you naked, Irina," he mused.

        "Is that a yes?" I raised my eyebrows.

        "It sure is," he smiled, quickly removing his clothes.

        We spent the night making out and touching, pleasuring each other with our mouths, but we did not make love. I was still a virgin.

        "I wanted to finish it, to actually lose our virginity. Even more, I wanted to date you. You're so wonderful, Irina, kind and sweet and it pains me no one else can see that because theyre too busy judging you. I can make you happy, Irina."

        "I know, Nick," I held my hand up to his cheek. "But I really think it best that we stay friends."

        "Fine," he sighed. "I'll go."

        "No, please...." I begged, but he had already slipped out the window, the curtain blowing in the breeze.

        I sighed, holding my head in my hands. I never meant to hurt, Nick, never. He was the last person in the world that I would want to hurt. I needed him and he needed me but there was no way I would sacrifice our friendship for a relationship that likely would not last.

        "Go after him,"  a ghost whispered in my ear. I turned around to see a girl about my age standing in the corner of my room, who looked as if she had drowned. Her voice gave me chills.