“Just sugar is okay with me. I don’t think I’m ready for such sweetness,” is her reply and I nod.

I finish preparing both mugs and then walk up to the table, putting hers in front and I see her appreciating it, then she laughs out loud. “This mug is great. Where did you get it?” she asks and I’m glad she likes it.

“Archie gave it to me,” I reply and she keeps reading it.

“Once we saw a book with all Shakespeare insults and I swear we were about to buy it for our professor. She would’ve loved it, I’m sure. But we didn’t have that much money that day,” she tells me and I smile. 

“I’m not sure if Mr McDean would’ve liked something like that, maybe yes. He’s a bit conservative though.” I stay quiet, trying to imagine his reaction to that present. “I would love it, of that I’m sure.”  “Anyhow, will you tell me how it went with my sister?”

“Oh right!” she exclaims. “She was really nice. I mean, she lent me clothes and everything.”

“Why exactly did she do that, though? She mentioned something about the dogs but it’s hard to believe her, she tends to exaggerate.”

Maca giggles again, remembering what happened and I wish so badly I had been there to see her. Then she stands up and for a second I panic until I realise she’s gone for her journal. She sits again and then shows me the picture with everyone.

“I swear when I saw the dogs I thought this is heaven. So many dogs and, Jesus, Corgis? Those dogs are always so happy and Golden Retrievers? That was like too much happiness in one place and then they were all on me. I think that’s the closest I’ve ever been to heaven,” she rambles and I laugh, trying to picture her with all the dogs over her, kissing her and wagging their tails, too excited to be contained. “It was amazing, I love dogs so much.”

“They are really cool,” I agree and she smiles radiantly, so beautifully that my heart even aches.

“And I’m not particularly fond of kids, but I really enjoyed my time with them. They were all so nice and beautiful. Pure souls, you know?” I nod because I really do know what she means. “I think this was also one of my favourite stops. It was such a wonderful experience.”

“That’s brilliant. I always have a great time when I go there,” I share and her smile is still cute. Then she wraps her both hands around the mug, letting this warm them up.

“And it was so sweet of Grace to know we vegetarians don’t eat marshmallows. Most people don’t know of even look over it as it doesn’t have meat and it’s not gelatine exactly, but I mean an animal had to die for that so how can I eat it?”

I nod, following her words. “That’s 'cos Bert is vegan so she is used to those things. At home she has this animal-friendly marshmallows and other things. Archie loves visiting them because he can eat without a worry.”

“They live together? Bert and Grace, I mean. He’s her boyfriend, right?”

“Yup,” I reply. “And yup again. They’ve lived together for many years. They are like a married couple but without signing anything.”

“Is she your only sibling?” she asks me and I nod.

“Although Grace always looked after me, then humiliated me. It’s a complicated relationship,” I confess and Maca laughs. “Really, she has this talent to say inappropriate things, especially to embarrass me in front of my friends. I thought twice about letting her meet you. If she didn’t know how important this was for me, I think she would’ve said something horrible or take an album from when I was a baby and showing you pictures of me running naked around the house, refusing to wear my nappy.”

Maca laughs out loud and my cheeks blush. Well, who needs Grace when I can humiliate myself on my own?

“She didn’t say anything embarrassing, just so you don’t worry. She was nice and I think I see what you mean about she looking after you. She has this whole mum aura, don’t you think? That’s probably why she can work with kids and make it look so easy. And all the kids love her,” Maca comments and I nod, completely agreeing. “It must’ve been nice to grow up with an older sister. It was always my mum and I.”

“And your dad?” I ask and I notice how she loses her smile. Oh shit, I asked something I shouldn’t have. 

“They are divorced and well, he’s never been around or actually been a dad to me,” she replies and I sigh. I honestly thought it would be worse, like he died and it hurt to think of him because she still misses him. I mean, anger is easier to manage and she clearly shows resentment towards her dad.

“I’m sorry about that,” I tell her and she gives me a sad smile.

“It’s okay. My Mum is great and we don’t need him,” she says and I can hear the resentment in hear voice, so clear. 

I decide I will leave this topic for later, I don’t want to make her feel uncomfortable.

“You now also have Oddie so I guess you’re the older sister,” I change topics and she smiles again.

“I guess so, but I don’t mock him or anything. For what Moni tells me, that’s how siblings act.” I nod, fully supporting her friend. “But then Mila and Havi have a very different relationship with their siblings.”

“If you don’t tease, fight and embarrass one another, then you’re doing something wrong,” I state and she laughs again and I feel relieved she doesn’t have that shadow in her eyes. I lifted her mood up again.

“I guess so, probably Moni agrees with you,” she replies and then takes a sip of her tea, her eyes closing a few seconds to enjoy the aroma of a Lady Grey at this hour. “How did you think of the playlist? I thought that was actually the last stop.”

“It was Archie’s idea, to surprise you and distract you with the playlist. I thought why not, and it was a great way to, you know, connect,” I reply and she smiles widely. “I liked the idea of us listening to the same thing in different places at the same time.”

She looks down, her cheeks blushing a bit and I take a sip of my own tea, trying to hide my smile.

“And talking about last stops, why don’t you tell me about that one?” I ask, still smiling, dying to know what she thinks of my little idea.

-:-:-

I hope you enjoye dit (: I wanted to mention you I have other two new stories coming in March and I'd love if you take a look at them.

-Unseen
-It's Just Ann

Bel, xx