Chapter 11

The cold wind bit through Joanie’s jacket and sweater as the two headed home. It had started to snow and the tiny frozen flakes bit into their skin.

“So what number were you?” Kate asked as they headed down Jane's street.

“Huh?”

“You know the slam book.”

“Oh, three.”

“Really you’ve only gotten to first base?”

“I guess so; I wonder who put down Mr. Redmond. That’s just gross.”

“At least it wasn’t Coach.” A mental picture flashed through Joanie's head of Coach in a smoking jacket, and she broke into gales of laughter.

They had just passed the school when the snow turned to sleet. Joanie ducked her face deeper into her coat to avoid the tiny spears of ice hitting her face.

“This is horrible! Gosh it’s freezing out here! Maybe we should have taken Jane’s dad up on his offer to drive us home.”

Joanie shook her head no. “Uh uh, with our luck he’d ask us why Sally was passed out on the living room floor.”

Kate turned back to smile at her friend, and her smile broadened as she spotted a familiar car slowing down besides them. “Maybe our luck is changing.”

Joanie heard the car and turned to stare in surprise as Eric pulled up alongside of them. She felt her icy cheeks began to thaw and was grateful that the redness would be mistaken for wind burn instead of her blushing. He leaned over and rolled down the window. “You icicles want a lift?”

Joanie didn’t have time to answer before Kate yanked open the door and pushed Joanie through the opening where she almost landed in Eric’s lap head first. She sprung up quickly and sent Kate a piercing look. Kate looked at her innocently as she scooted into the front seat next to her shoving Joanie over so that her and Eric’s legs were touching. She felt electricity jolt through her body and pinned it up to numbness setting in and not the contact. She looked at Eric and forced herself to calm down.

“So where are you heading?” Eric asked. He turned a little bit sideways and had his elbow resting on the back seat gently pressing against Joanie's shoulder. If it was on purpose or not Joanie couldn’t tell.

“Home.” Joanie chattered.

Eric reached out and grabbed her hands. He sandwiched them between his two huge, warm ones, and Joanie blushed even more. She knew that was no accident. Joanie felt herself heating up quickly, and she knew it wasn’t from the warm car. “Better?” He asked her, and all she could do was nod. He gave her a breathtaking smile and turned to shift the car into gear. Kate elbowed her in the ribs and Joanie refused to look at her knowing the smirk that she would find.

Joanie lost track of time as they drove.  She almost sighed in disappointment as they pulled up in front of Kate's house. Kate hopped out quickly and grabbed her bag. She gave Joanie a ‘you better call me or else look’ before she thanked Eric and ran to the house. With Kate gone, Joanie was more nervous than ever. She self consciously scooted over a little towards where Kate had sat. She was surprised at the coldness that seeped into her left side where her and Eric’s bodies were touching.

Eric looked over and grinned at her as if reading her thoughts. “Cold isn’t it?”

“It sure is. I wasn’t expecting this weather.” She said nodding down to her thin jacket.

Eric leaned forward and started taking off his leather jacket. “Here put this on.” He said holding it up for her to wear.

Joanie hesitated. “But you’ll be cold.”