Chapter 8

“BRRRRRRRRRRRRINNNGGGGGG!”

The angry clamor of the bell jolted her back to reality. It was time. She quickly gathered her books and jostled her way to her locker. Swapping out her books, she slammed the door shut and was caught up in the stream of classmates exiting the building in their haste for freedom.

She quickly looked around the large campus seeing cars everywhere. But not Eric’s. She should have set up a meeting point. There were several entrances to the school. Or maybe, the little voice inside her head said, he’s not coming, he forgot. Frowning, she looked around at the cars which were starting to dwindle still not seeing Eric’s. Sighing she started walking towards the side walk which would take her home.

A car rumbled up beside her. It was him! She quickly covered up her excitement as she leaned down to look into the passenger window. Eric leaned over and rolled down the window, so he could talk to her.

“Sorry I’m late; I got tied up at work.” He apologized.

“It’s ok. Thanks for helping me.” Joanie said grabbing the door handle, so she could hop into the warm car.

“Anytime.” Eric replied checking his mirrors before pulling out into traffic.

An awkward silence filled the car as Joanie stared ahead nervously. It still seemed like a dream to her – she was finally going to get to practice driving and by the hottest guy in town. At least SHE thought he was the hottest. She sneaked a glance over at him.

Eric was concentrating on the traffic that was still heavy since the parade of cars was still leaving from the school. Eric glanced over at her, and her face flushed red. She just realized that she was staring at him. He smiled in that quirky way of his as she turned to stare out the window. The window was steamed up due to the contrast of the warm air inside and the cold air outside. Joanie used the sleeve of her coat to wipe away the condensation.

The silence continued, and Joanie started to panic, she had to say something! He was going to think she was just a dumb lump sitting in his car!

“Um.” She started softly, but her voice sound odd in the quiet car. She cleared her throat. “Are we going to practice at the factory parking lot?” She inquired not daring to look at him as she asked.

He chuckled slightly. “You can’t learn to drive in a parking lot. You need to practice on the road.”

“What!” Joanie asked shocked. She’d be killed! She thought as she watched the cars zooming by and cutting in and out of traffic.

As if reading her mind, Eric laid his hand on her arm reassuringly. “Don’t worry, were going to a little town I know, it’ll be safe there.”

Joanie still panicky nodded and forced a smile. I am going to kill Kate. She thought, Kate was always there offering her support and Joanie needed her desperately right now. Not only was she alone with Eric but they were going who knows where.

Silence again filled the car as Joanie watched building after building fly past them. They had only been traveling for about thirty minutes, but it felt much longer. Eric finally pulled up in front of a small restaurant in an unfamiliar town.

“Where are we?” Joanie asked Eric.

He smiled “Hopeful Heights, Kentucky.”

She glared, “I’ve never heard of Hopeful Heights.”

“Most people haven’t we did some construction near here last summer. Hardly any traffic. I figured this would be a great place to teach someone how to drive.”

Joanie looked around and forced a smile. “Yeah great.” She murmured.

“Hungry?”

“Huh?” Joanie said.