three • searching for answers

Start from the beginning

my mom ripped the book from my hands, "there isn't anything in here that will help, olivia."

my eyes filled with tears and my stomach fell. my voice was quiet and shaky as i spoke, "there has to be."

"how about we look tomorrow?" liam offered, stepping closer. "let's go to sleep for now, and i'll help you look tomorrow, okay?"

"i need to remember him." i said quietly. my bottom lip quivered and i pulled it between my teeth, biting down.

"you need to sleep," my mom corrected, beginning to tug me out of the room. this time, i let her. my stomach churned and my ears rang. i was tired.

"mom, i think i was in love with him."

"you think?" my mom clarified, walking up the stairs behind me. i nodded. "that's not good enough, olivia. you have to know."

"i can't!" i cried, spinning to face her as she closed the basement door behind us. "they took him, they erased him."

my mom sighed, looking at liam behind me, "liam, help her to bed."

i let out a scoff, shaking my head lightly. liam wrapped his hand gently around my arm, but i stayed put in my spot. i stared at my mom in disbelief, "you don't believe me, do you?"

"honey-"

"i'm not crazy!" i cried. a tear slowly trickled down my cheek, but i wiped it away quickly. "i'm not crazy."

"i know." my mom assured, looking at me with soft eyes, "but i also know you need sleep."

"we can look tomorrow." liam repeated, tugging me. i sighed, tearing my eyes away from my mom and following liam to the stairs.

"you believe me, right?" i asked him quietly, walking up the flight of stairs a step in front of him.

"i do," liam replied. "i believe you, liv. we're going to get him back, okay?"

"i hope." i said quietly, making my way into my bedroom.

"goodnight, liv." liam said, standing in the doorway of my room. i slowly stepped towards my bed, eyeing it with hesitation. i didn't want to sleep, i wanted to remember.

"goodnight," i said, my voice barely above a whisper. liam shut the door softly as he left, making his way towards his bedroom.

i let out a shaky sigh and my eyes drifting around the room. i slowly made my way over to my desk, my eyes landed on the picture frame sat on top of it. i picked it up, eying the picture inside with confusion.

it was a picture of me. my yearbook photo. i was smiling into the lens, but the smile didn't quite reach my eyes. something about the photo was weird, different. it was off. i was leaning slightly back in my seat, my hands raised to my chest and gripping at the top of my shirt. it was like someone was supposed to be behind me. and i could have sworn the last time i looked at this photo, my smile was bright and genuine. this one seemed almost fake. the photo seemed fake, like it wasn't the real version. just like the one scott showed us earlier.

i shakily put the picture back down, letting it rest on the desk again. i shook my head lightly to myself, taking in a deep breath. i slowly made my way to my closet in search of a sweater, pulling open the door. my eyes immediately landed on a beacon hills lacrosse jersey hanging up. my eyebrows furrowed and i reach out, tugging it out of the closet. i excepted to see isaac's name and number on it, knowing i had his practice jersey from when we had dated during junior year. only it didn't hold the name lahey, nor was the number 14 on it.

my eyes wandered over it, hands feeling the fabric curiously. there was no name on it. my eyes travelled over the big, white number on it. i racked my brain trying to think of who it belonged to, but my mind was blank. the feeling of longing spread through my body once more and my stomach churned. i furrowed my eyebrows, staring at the number.