38. Under the Table

Cosette and George mutually agreed that it would be best to try and avoid each other for the time being, that way there was no risk of any temptation.

But only a couple days later, Ginny excitedly mentioned something about Harry being transferred to a different position in the Auror's office and she suggested that they all go out for dinner to celebrate. 'Somewhere nice' Ginny said, growing tired of eating at the burrow for every special occasion.

So George, Ron and Hermione arrived outside a restaurant in London all dressed up more than they were used to. Ron complained about the way the tag on the inside of his dress shirt irritated his skin but Hermione wasn't paying him any attention.

George adjusted the collar of his suit jacket, having decided to go for a more business casual look tonight. His slacks and his jacket were a matching shade of dark purple with a plain black shirt paired with them.

He noticed that Ron's collar was kind of bent as he walked behind him so he reached forward to adjust it, but Ron was quick to squirm away from him, not wanting any of his assistance. It became clear to George that Ron was still frustrated with him because of when he showed up late the other day.

"Can you cool it mate, please?" George asked, stopping in his tracks. Hermione glanced over her shoulder to see that Ron had stopped walking as well, but she didn't want to get caught in the middle of this conversation so she headed on inside.

"I've done nothing wrong," Ron scoffed, crossing his arms over his chest.

"No, but I've apologized about fifteen times now and you still won't talk to me," George shrugged his shoulders helplessly, "What more do you want from me?"

"I want you to get your shit together," Ron's eyebrows furrowed as he took another step towards George, "You don't think I've noticed how out of sorts you've been? Your head is everywhere, George. I'm picking up your slack at the shop and I'm tired of it."

George didn't have a good excuse because he knew Ron was right. The only thing on his mind recently had been Cosette and if by chance he wasn't thinking of her, he was trying to figure out where Lottie could have gone and what he was going to say when she finally returned.

"Is this about Lottie?" Ron asked him, having been caught up with the fact that she had just up and left the other day.

"Sort of," George nodded, "But I shouldn't be bringing my problems into work because it's not fair to you or the employees or customers, really. I am sorry, Ron. Can we just move on from this? Please?"

But Ron sighed to himself, debating whether or not he even wanted to forgive George for how he'd been acting.

"I'll buy your meal tonight," George offered.

Ron squinted, thinking of a better deal, "And 'Mione's."

"Fine, whatever, Hermione's too. Are we good now?"

"Are you going to get your head out of your ass?"

"Yes."

"Alright then yeah. We're good." Ron finally cracked a smile but something behind George caught his attention as he darted his gaze. Out of curiosity, George turned to look over his shoulder as well but when he did, time stood still.

Cosette was walking right towards them wearing a lilac dress that landed mid thigh on her. The silky material hugged the curves of her body in ways that made George forget how to breathe. His eyes glazed over every inch of Cosette and it took all of his strength to not meet her halfway and kiss her with everything in him.