36. Missed Connections

George's fingers rested under Cosette's chin as he gently tilted her head up to face him. Even though they were concealed from the burrow because they were behind the shed, there were still other pressing issues.

Cosette placed her hand on George's chest, preventing him from leaning down to kiss her as she painfully looked up at him, "I can't."

"You can't what?" George repeated back with a worrisome tone.

"I can't kiss you, George," she shook her head slowly, but George still didn't understand what she was talking about.

"You have before." he furrowed his eyebrows in confusion, "In fact we've done a lot more than kiss. I don't get it, do you not want-"

"You're still dating Lottie."

Cosette hated being the one to bring her up, but she had to make it clear that they couldn't just jump into anything. "You need to break up with her and I'm not just going to be that girl that you cheat on her with until you finally do it. If you want to be with me then do something about it."

It was one thing for George to say that he wanted her, but there were still a few roadblocks in their way. The main one being his current girlfriend.

"So I can't kiss you?"

Cosete rolled her eyes, "No, George. I can't stand her but it's still wrong of us to be sneaking around like this."

George knew she was right. Ever since Cosette came back into his life, he hadn't been loyal to Lottie. He almost wished he never officially asked her to be his girlfriend, but he only did it because he figured him and Cosette were never going to happen. Being with Lottie was better than being alone.

But now that Cosette expressed that she wanted to be with him too, it was a no-brainer for George.

"Okay," was all he said as he started to pull his wand out of his pocket and take a few steps back, ready to apparate himself to his place. He didn't want to put it off any longer than he had to.

"Oh, you're going now?" Cosette asked, somewhat surprised at his sense of urgency.

"Well," George chuckled, "Yeah. What did you expect?"

"I honestly don't know," Cosette shrugged her shoulders, "Like, breakfast first maybe?"

"Breakfast can wait, love," George instinctively raised his hand up to the side of her face and a grin spread across his cheeks as he licked his lips, "But you? I think I've waited long enough."

As much as George wanted to kiss her once more before he left, he fought the urge to and settled with letting his thumb trace gently over her lips.

"I'll see you soon, okay?" George whispered, letting his hand fall. He took another step back and with a quick flick of his wand, he apparated himself to his flat.

As soon as he arrived in his living room, George realized just how trashed his place had become. There were beer cans and solo cups littered all over the floor and his patio door had been left unlocked all night. He was genuinely surprised that he wasn't robbed.

George stepped over a few cushions that had been pulled from his couch as he made his way down the hall, expecting to find Lottie still asleep in his bed. He didn't want to let himself think about it too much, but he knew that she wasn't going to take this well.

"Okay George, you can do this," He whispered a few words of encouragement to himself, knowing that this was going to be like ripping off a bandaid, "Just straight to the point. Tell her it's over, that's all, you got this."