High School Friends Seem To Never Stay Friends For Long...

Chapter Twenty-Seven... High School Friends Seem To Never Stay Friends For Long...

Week 30 started off with a bang.

A massive clap of thunder startled me awake in the early hours. I heard Addy start crying, and I groaned. Addy had always hated loud thunder, ever since she was born. She'd turned one over a month ago, and we had a party for her later on today, given that we'd just been too busy the last couple of weeks.

I got out of bed and went to turn the light on, only to discover that the storm had annoyingly knocked the power out.

"Cam?" I said, trying to maintain a whisper but failing miserably. "Cam? I need a torch."

"Hmmm?" Cameron groaned from his sleepy state.

"I need a torch," I repeated.

"Get one then," Cameron answered with a sigh, rolling back over.

"And walk in the dark?" I said loudly. "Uhm... I'm like, eight months' pregnant!"

"What do you need a torch for, babe?" Cameron groaned, rolling over to face me.

"There's a blackout," I said quietly. "And Addy's crying. And... Becca's sitting on the floor next to you," I added, noticing the little blonde girl who had silently snuck into our room and sat herself opposite her father.

"Oh, I'll go look in a minute," he groaned.

"Becca, what are you doing over there?" I asked of my little girl, noticing how unusually quiet she was.

"The thunder woke me up," Becca answered quietly. It was evident that she was still half-asleep, and I'm pretty sure she didn't really know what she was doing.

"Bub, come over here to mommy," I asked of her, and she did as I asked. I pulled her into bed with me, cuddling her tightly.

"Mom, Addy was crying," she whispered.

Cameron suddenly got up then, walking out of the room silently. It began to rain at that moment, quite heavily.

"Daddy's gone to get her," I answered Becca's statement.

"Mommy, how much longer to I have to go to school?" Becca asked quite randomly.

I laughed.

"About another... eighteen years," I smiled. "Why's that?"

"I had a dream that you and daddy made me go to school forever," Becca said, her face just visible in the dark. She had a mild look of horror on it.

"Well, maybe you're just scared because you go to kindergarten next year?" I suggested.

"Nah, not scared," Becca answered, and I looked to see her slowly drifting off back into sleep.

Cameron soon returned with Addy, whose crying caused Becca to awaken quickly. I was almost asleep, too. I opened my eyes to see that Addy was being held in front of me, tears streaming down her little face.

"Cam!" I shouted, causing Becca to cower.

"Daddy!" Becca squealed.

"Take her, please?" Cameron begged.

"Why?" I asked, frowning. "I already have Becca!"

"There's water flowing into the house!" Cameron gasped. "Take the girls, please. Just take them, and wait. Because the rain's that heavy, it's gonna cause flash flooding. And... our house is getting wet!"