1. Family BBQ

Chapter One... Family BBQ

Days of freedom around here are a rarity.

But today, there was no school, no college, no work and no dramas. That was exactly the relief I needed. Just the day before, I'd torn up one of my text books in a fit of frustrated anger because I couldn't attend college as Ethan was sick. Then, I had to pick Addy up from preschool as she had a nosebleed, Becca tripped over at school and had to have stitches in her forehead, and then to top it off Cameron slipped in his office at work and I had to pick him up because he'd hurt his ankle!

Luckily, the ankle injury wasn't anything serious, just a mild sprain that he could walk on after a few hours.

My family certainly knew how to bring my stress levels up some days...

Today we were driving to my parents' house in the town we used to live in three years ago. The town held many memories for us, and we hadn't been here in over a year. Our families usually came to visit us. Last month, Jenna, Dane and their two kids came to visit. Daughter Ellie was almost two, and their new little son Wyatt was only six weeks' old.

"I can't wait to see little Wyatt again!" I grinned excitedly as we drove down the highway.

"You saw him three weeks ago," Cameron pointed out. "But he is cute."

"Oh, I remember when all of our kids were that little," I smiled. "They're all so grown up now! I can't believe how much they've grown!"

"Mom!" Becca said from the back seat. "Are we at nana's house yet?"

"Jeez, impatient much, Bec?" I laughed. "We've still got about an hour to go."

"Addy ate all of my chips," Becca groaned.

"Not Addy!" Lily giggled.

"Oh, Lil!" Becca sighed. "Mom, I'm getting hungry again."

"Mom, Lily's poking me!" Addy wailed.

"Move over, Addy!" Lily cried.

"I can't!" Addy shouted. "There's a window there!"

"Becca, move over!" Lily told her.

"No, Lily!" Becca snapped. "I've got no room!"

"Girls!" I hissed. "Stop arguing!"

"Mommy, I'm hungry, too," Zane said from behind me.

"Maybe we should stop..." I muttered to Cameron.

"Fine," he agreed, quickly pulling into the roadhouse we were just about to drive past.

We all got out of the car, and I took Lily's hand. Cameron grabbed the hands of the boys, and Becca took my other hand. Addy grasped Lily's hand tightly, and Lily scowled at her.

"Come on, kids," I said encouragingly, and we entered the diner.

It was an older, fifties-type restaurant that was in serious need of a makeover. We silently walked to a large booth in the back, and Cameron took Zane to the bathroom. I took a menu and started looking at it.

"I want a burger," Becca said confidently. "Lettuce, meat, cucumber, carrot, cheese. No icky stuff I won't eat, please."