CHAPTER 4: COMPETITION

Start from the beginning

"Even if you find me a suitable partner, I'd refuse either way.." I narrowed my eyes, "please respect my wishes, Your Majesty."

They are aware of my past yet they seem to not be concerned about that and insists on marriage. I stifle a sigh from escaping my lips, "The princess has a point, Your Majesty. If the Princess doesn't wish to do so, then we shalln't force her to."

Eros sided with me, taking a step forward. "If it's what the crown prince wants." I could father's cold glare directed towards me, as I diverted my gaze. 'The obvious favoritism is showing from his aura, I could feel it from here..'

"You're dismissed Asteria, I have a matter to talk with your brother." Father gestured to the doors, 'Finally!' I bowed my head, before walking towards the exit.

'I don't have time for their marriage proposals,' I clenched my fists, before walking towards my part of the palace. "Tomorrow is the Crown Princess competition, I should check the preparations."

I mumbled to myself, the maids passing by looking confused. Yet, I could care less. Firstly, I must change my attire since this is too fancy.

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

TODAY IS FINALLY THE DAY, where the Crown Princess competition is gonna be held. Eva braided my dark blue locks, as she tied it with a white ribbon.

"Isn't this quite, child-like Eva?" I scratched my chin lightly, staring at Eva through the mirror. "No matter what you wear, You're still very pretty Your Highness!"

"I know that though." I confidently responded, yet in a jokingly manner. "We should get going, we mustn't be late." Eva nodded, helping me stand up.

"Lady Medea and Lady Psyche oddly reminds me of a Queen and a Pawn in chess." Eva started, with a quiet hum. "Come to think of it, they've been called that for quite awhile."

I cast her a glance, as we arrived. Decorations were already held up, soon the citizens will also arriving. "Really? I haven't kept in touch with both of them since it might seem unfair."

"I've also been dealing with my brother, and preparations." I muttered, brushing my bangs aside. Eros was there standing, as I walked up the stairs. "Greetings, Brother."

"Greetings," Eros returned, holding a piece of paper. "My, you've organized everything so well sister." I smiled warmly for a moment. "I'm sure the candidates will arrive soon enough."

I responded, brother simply nodded brushing his blue hair. "You can go first Asteria, I'll follow right after." Eros muttered, quite fixed on what he was reading.

I simply nodded in response, Eva lend me a fan since the weather was much more sunny than usual. Alas, the candidates and spectators had arrived.

The first match soon begun, it was to test how cultivated enough the candidates are to handle that empire's internal affairs and diplomacy.

The second match tasked the candidates to persuade a noble who had cut ties with the empire, so he would pledge allegiance to the empire once more.

Medea won the matches by a landslide, as I amusedly watched by the sidelines. "Medea is much more competitive than usual," I quipped, opening my fan.

Eva dryly laughed, "It's quite a shame everything ended far much swiftly than expected." My gaze darted to where Eros's seat was supposed to be, yet he left without a word.