FORTY TWO

* hi! if you read the previous upload to this story, you will know about the lack of engagement i've been getting throughout this book recently. please take a moment to vote. if you have a little while to spare, just leave one comment. if all my readers left one comment, things would really improve engagement wise. it would help me out a lot.

big cliffhanger at the end of this story. you're not ready. enjoy, all the same. sorry for what's about to come. *

»»————««

CAMILLE

"Hey, mon amour?" I felt Charles' fingertips caress my cheek. I refused to open my eyes, and instead, I grumbled. I'd barely slept a wink, and it felt like five minutes since I actually dozed off into what I could class as a decent sleep. I didn't feel like going to the track today. My body is aching. "What is it? Are you okay?"

Charles placed his hands against my stomach and I stifled a smile. It was reassuring to know that he was right by my side, and he would be for the duration of my pregnancy. I had absolutely no doubt that he would be prepared to support me in every way possible. I just wanted to pull the duvet over my head and stay there, in the warmth and the darkness, until the end of the day. The heat in our bedroom was becoming unbearable.

"Do you feel okay?" Charles spoke again before I could. I shrugged my shoulders in response, and sat up to take a deep breath and also have some water. I needed it. "What's wrong?"

"Just a bad night's sleep," sighing, I folded my arms across my chest. My eyes were painful because of my levels of fatigue. It was that bad. Charles furrowed his brows as he sighed and looked at me, sadly. "I'm not really feeling up to going to the track today."

"Oh, mon amour, but it's race day," Charles looked at me, clearly deflated, and I felt guilty. My newest collection went live at midnight and I was awake to see it, whereas Charles was passed out beside me, with his head resting on his pillow and his breathing steady. "I'm on Pole, I'm going to win it for you."

I just shrugged my shoulders, and forced my head back into my pillow. I knew that I'd fall asleep as soon as my eyes closed. My assumptions were wrong, because I could very much consciously feel Charles brushing the side of his thumb against my cheek. I wanted to be there for him, and for Max, and for Lando, but I just didn't feel up to it.

"It's only early, mon amour. We still have plenty of time," Charles whispered to me, and I felt like sleeping for a little longer might be enough to push me to join him at the track. Silverstone was always a good race. Plus, Max would worry if he realised that I wasn't at the circuit to support him. "How about I have a shower and you get some more sleep? I'll wake you in an hour or so. We can see how you feel then about joining me, alright?"

"Okay." I mumbled, feeling the bed turn cold after Charles left a kiss on my forehead. I felt the lack of his presence immediately, but I rolled over and fell into an abyss of darkness, as sleep consumed me again.

--

I did make it to the track with Charles, but I wasn't looking the best. Considering I only had half an hour to get myself ready after he woke me up, I left my face bare and dressed in very casual clothing. I didn't have the mental capacity to look at my wardrobe and pick out a nice outfit. The plane ride back to Monaco was calling my name already.