Chapter 126- 130

Chapter 126 – Untitled

"Sending the betrothal gifts? Isn't that next month? Didn't we already plow the vegetable fields and plant the seeds? The crops should be ready by next month, so why do we need to ask Second Son for vegetables? It's not like you don't know about the living conditions of Second Son's family. As his parents, even if we can't help him, we shouldn't add to their misfortunes and cause more trouble for our children. What would others say about us?" Of course, Old Yu didn't believe her nonsense and immediately exposed her.

"Shouldn't a son be filial to his parents? What would others say! Do you think that others won't gossip about a son who eats and lives well while his parents barely have enough to eat?" Madam Zhang was an expert at pestering others endlessly.

Old Yu frowned and became even more displeased, "What do you mean by 'we barely have enough to eat'? Although we're not making as much money from selling fish as before, it's certainly enough to feed our entire family. Moreover, you still have a lot of..."

"It's for our third son's studies, so no one is allowed to touch it!" Madam Zhang valued her youngest son the most and no one was allowed to touch him. When she heard Old Yu mention her savings, she instantly startled and glanced at Xiaocao with a guilty conscience.

Old Yu felt even more furious within his heart, "Whenever money is mentioned, you always say that it's for Third Son's studies! Yet you run over to cause trouble for Second Son's family when they have already split from the family! Your heart is seriously too biased!!"

"I'm biased? You're saying that I'm being partial?! After I married you, I gave birth to and raised your children. I don't waste money on food or clothes. Who am I doing all this for? Was it for myself? I just want to foster a scholar from our family so that our whole family can live a better life. Who am I being biased to? Eldest Son is my biological son, have I ever been partial to him? Second Son is more capable than Eldest Son. I also remember all his contributions to the family!! In the future, when Third Son passes the examination to become an official, wouldn't he, as his older brother, also be benefited?" Madam Zhang wiped her tears as she spoke, as if she was the one who had been wronged and taken advantage of.

Old Yu's heart softened when he saw Madam Zhang's tears, but he still persisted, "That still isn't a valid reason to ask an older brother, who had separated from the family, to financially support his younger brother's studies! Stop crying here, or else you'll become a laughingstock. Quickly come home with me!!"

Seeing that she wouldn't be able to take advantage of them today, Madam Zhang dawdled over to the entrance. Madam Li didn't even dare to lift up her head as she dejectedly followed behind her mother-in-law. Her father-in-law was really angry today. He didn't even give face to her mother-in-law, let alone her.

"Ay!" Old Yu touched the head of Xiaocao, who was standing beside him and staring at him with wide eyes. After that, he looked at his son and daughter-in-law, who had only come out from the rear courtyard at this time. With a tired voice, he sighed, "The husband will have less trouble if his wife is virtuous! It was fortunate that I didn't listen to Madam Zhang's decision to have you marry her niece. I have a good daughter-in-law. You guys need to live a good life!"

After that, with his hands clasped behind his back and his body stooped down, he left with heavy footsteps.

"Grandfather! I'll gather some vegetables for you to take back!!" Yu Xiaocao was more or less satisfied with her grandfather's performance today. It seemed like he wasn't a complete fool yet.

Old Yu stopped in his tracks and turned his head to look at her. He slowly shook his head and said, "No need. Keep them to sell for money! This old residence needs to be renovated thoroughly so that it won't be crushed by the snow during winter!"