Chapter 156- 160

Chapter 156 – Sending Them Off

Zhao Han looked towards the direction of Yu Xiaocao for a second. Once he went to the capital, he wasn't sure when he would see her again. He believed he would always remember that thin and weak, yet simultaneously strong figure. Even in the pits of suffering, that little girl always had a sweet smile on her face, and she always managed to bring people hope as well as create many surprises...he didn't know whether he would be able to see her again in the future!

After they finished their meal, the old general, Zhao Zimo, left early to go back. Zhao Bufan and Yu Hai gazed at the moon together as they drank small sips of alcohol. Their eyes were hazy with drunkenness and they chatted incoherently amongst themselves. Auntie Zhao pulled Madam Liu into one of the rooms to discuss some private womanhood matters.

After Zhao Han and Yu Hang finished their conversation, he noticed Xiaocao busily putting away the bowls and chopsticks. At last, he couldn't help himself and advanced a step to say, "Xiaocao, do you have time to talk for a bit?"

Xiaolian noticed the complicated look in Zhao Han's eyes and grinned, "Little sister, go ahead! I'll finish up here myself!"

Yu Xiaocao washed her hands clean, used a cotton towel to wipe them dry, and then headed towards Zhao Han.

"Tomorrow, I'll be leaving here. Can you go on a walk with me?" Zhao Han lowered his head and looked at the delicate little girl in front of him who only reached the height of his chest. His voice was soft and gentle, as if he was afraid he might startle her.

Yu Xiaocao nodded and took the lead, walking towards the gate.

The cool and refreshing evening breeze blew merrily through the trees. The newly grown foliage rustled gently in the wind. At night, the West Mountain seemed to be a giant, black monster, and it towered over the edge of Dongshan Village. At times, it also seemed like the village's protector, with its head lowered watching a small child...

Two figures could be seen in the gloomy light of the stars, one tall and one short, one sturdy and one weak. They slowly strolled along the rugged dirt road. Zhao Han lowered his head to look silently at the quiet Xiaocao. He ended up being the first to break the silence, "I'm about to go, do you have anything you want to say to me?"

At this moment, Yu Xiaocao's heart was full of sorrow and reluctance. It could be said that Zhao Han was one of the first friends she had since she transmigrated over to this world. It was he who taught her how to set traps and helped her acquire her first bit of wealth. It was he who protected her and her younger brother from the strong bully, Heizi, and became their patron saint. It was he who trusted and pardoned her despite her many odd actions and idiosyncrasies, and who never doubted or questioned her!

Having a friend who supported her unconditionally, it was unlikely she would find another one in the future, right? All sorts of feelings welled up in her heart and out of all of the thousands of words in the world, only one came to mind at this moment, and that was 'precious'.

As Zhao Han gazed at that tiny, pale, little, smiling face, that was raised up towards him and had two bright, large eyes full of regret, he had a sudden, reckless impulse to hug Xiaocao and carry her away.

However, reason prevailed in the end and prevented him from taking that crazy action. Zhao Han said with a bit of hope in his voice, "Xiaocao, come with us to the capital! Over there, you can fully use your talents and start a new career. Haven't you always held Jiang Siniang's Exquisite Garments as an example of women showing their talents?"

Yu Xiaocao's large, limpid eyes seemed to speak stories to him as they looked at him. In them, he could see his eager and earnest reflection within her pupils. However, in the end, Xiaocao slowly shook her head. Then again, what sort of qualifications did he have to ask her to go with him?