Suddenly I See

15 Days of One-Shots (1/15) 

Harry Styles was born blind, living in a world of darkness until this moment, with his boyfriend by his side. With the bandage unraveled, all he has to do is open his eyes, and see the world around him. 

Harry’s foot tapped nervously on the hard white tiled floor, of the waiting room he and his boyfriend Louis were waiting in. His grip on Louis’ hand had done nothing but tighten in the past half hour, and Louis was slowly losing circulation, but he grinned through the pain, whispering quiet reasurents to Harry.

“What if it didn’t work,” Harry whispered, after half an hour of waiting silently, and Louis drew in a breath, reaching out and petting some of the loose curls that hung in front of the white bandage, wrapped tightly around Harry’s eyes.

“It will love,” Louis reassured, but Harry’s frown deepened, and he turned his head so that it was facing Louis’.

“How do you know that?”

“I just do,” the older boy assured, before giving Harry’s hand a gently squeeze, “And on the off chance that it doesn’t, we’ll get through this-“

“How-“

“Harry, it’s not exactly new love,” Louis sighed, continuing to let Harry’s curls. He sighed, leaning back in his chair, wincing as Harry’s grip tightened even more, “Hey, remember when we first met?” Louis asked lazily and Harry’s frowned lessened into more of a pout.

“Yeah, you tripped over my white cane,” Harry chuckled slightly, thinking back to the day, a few years ago. Louis had been new in school, running about, trying to find his next class. And Harry had been taking his time, working the unfamiliar hallway of the upper school, trying to find his way to his next class in the darkness that he lived in, with only his cane tapping along to find his way, when suddenly, his cane had clattered to the ground, accompanied by a loud groan.

And that had been the start of the best few years of Harry’s life, that had all lead up to this very moment.

It had been Louis’ suggestion, after spending hours upon hours pouring over medical journals in The Universitiy’s library. He’d come home late one night, and found Harry, sprawled out on the couch, listening to a movie their neighbor Niall had brough over.

“Harry,” Louisnhad asked, switching off the TV, and ignoring Niall’s annoyed sigh. He sat down in front of Harry, on the coffee table, and reached for his younger boyfriend’s hands. Harry had turned his head, his unreading eyes staring blankly back at Harry. “How would you like to see?”

Which had brought the boys here.

“Mr. Styles?” A young nurse suddenly appeared in the doorway, “We’re ready for you.”

Harry continued to grip Louis’ hand, as he stood up and followed the nurse through a maze of hallways, to an examination room, tucked behind a curtain. Louis helped Harry maneuver himself onto the examination table and the nurse left to fetch the Doctor, leaving Louis and Harry alone again.

“I’m nervous Lou,” Harry whispered, swinging his legs back and forwth, and Louis sighed, stepping forward and pulling Harry into an embrace.

“Haz, love, if this doesn’t work. It’s not the end of the world. I’ll feel absolute shit about getting your hopes up, but we knew it might not, even before we agreed to the procedure,” Louis whispered, and Harry’s nervous breaths began to slow back into rhythmic breathing, “But if it does-“

The door suddenly swung open and Louis took a step back, Harry’s hand still clutching his own, as the Doctor entered the room with a bright slide and sparkling eyes.

“Harry! You excited?” Dr. Pine asked, sitting down on his chair and pushing himself over to sit next in front of Harry, smiling at the boy.

Harry managed a slight shrug.

“He’s a bit nervous,” Louis replied for Harry, who groaned, muttering a quiet ‘shut up’ under his breath.  Dr. Pine laughed, sliding over to a drawer and pulling out a few tools, before sliding back over in front of Harry.

“It’s completely normal to be nervous,” Dr. Pine assured, as he methodically began cutting at the bandage that was covering Harry’s eyes, “But the hard part, the surgery? You already did that, and passed with flying colors! Hm?”

Harry nodded stiffly, the surgery had been  few weeks ago, and had left him with a bandage wrapped around his eyes, keeping him in familiar darkness as everyone held their breath and waited for the wounds to heal, and see if it’d worked.

Dr. Pine cut the last bit of bandage off and unraveled the rest, taking a dampened towel and wiping it gently over Harry’s closed eyes.

“It’s going to be bright at first, so we’re going to have Louis dim the lights,” Dr. Pine instructed and Louis nodded, hurrying to the light dial and turning it to the left, until the room was darker. “Okay, now here, Louis, you take my place,” Dr. Pine scooted out of the way and Louis stepped in front of his boyfriend, who’s shoulders were beginning to tremble, “Good, and now Harry, you can grab Louis’ hand if you want to, and slowly start opening those eyes of yours.”

Louis held his breath and reached for Harry’s hand, gripping it tightly, as the younger boy slowly began to peel his eyes open.

“It hurts,” he hissed and Louis turned worriedly to Dr. Line who nodded.

“Yes, it will at first, just try to keep going.”

So slowly Harry continued, until finally, familiar eyes were locked on Louis’. But these eyes of Harry’s were so much more, they were brighter, sparkled with curiosity, and Louis’ breath caught in his throat, as he and Harry’s eyes truly met for the first time.

“Louis,” Harry gasped, reaching out carefully, cupping Louis’ chin, “You have the most beautiful eyes.”

Louis snuffled, wiping at his tearing eyes, and leaned forward, pulling Harry into a long kiss. He pulled back and chuckled, staring into Harry’s alive eyes.

“You do too Haz.”