Chapter 21.

Nora's POV

"Excuse me sir, visiting hours are over. You're welcome to come back tomorrow morning at ten-"

"Silence." Enzo put his hand up, interrupting the employee behind the front desk. "My name is Lorenzo Conti, and I am here to see Rosalinda Rossi. You will direct me to her room now."

This Enzo was the same one from the meeting we attended with the rest of his "company". Someone had threatened his family again, and he wasn't going to play games or beat around any bushes.

The poor woman did as he instructed with a trembling voice. I did feel sorry for her. I knew how intimidating Enzo could be, but I couldn't worry about her feelings at the moment. We had to find out what happened to Rosie.

The elevator doors slid open to reveal a disheveled Fiero with his head between his hands in a dim waiting room. The uncomfortable plastic chairs creaked as we sat down on either side of him. No one spoke. It wasn't until a doctor entered the waiting room that the silence was broken.

I pressed myself as close to Enzo as I physically could. He reached an arm behind him to hold my hand comfortingly.

Not all doctors are bad Nora. Rosie needs help. Doctors help people.

I screwed my eyes shut and I took deep breaths in through my nose and out through my mouth. This whole place smelled liked bleach and death. I had to keep it together for Rosie.

"Sir." The doctor greeted Fiero. We all stood in response. "It looks like somehow; your fiancé has been poisoned. We're not sure how the poison entered her system, but from the labs our phlebotomist drew, we were able to identify the poison and we'll be able to treat her."

Relief flooded through my body at the man's words. Rosie was going to be okay. My family is going to be okay.

"What did you guys do today? Anything out of the normal routine?" Enzo questioned Fiero after the doctor left.

"We stayed home all day. She started feeling ill early this morning. I wasn't even able to get her to eat anything all day." Fiero answered.

The elevator doors dinged open again and Raffaelo and Gino joined our little huddle.

"Hey, we came as soon as we heard. What's going on?" Gino asked no one in particular. Enzo explained the situation.

I glanced over at Fiero, and I could tell he was breaking down. He had his head tipped back against the wall and his eyes were closed with his brow furrowed. His breathing was heavy and I could almost see his strength leaving him.

I went and sat in the plastic chair next to him. "She's going to pull through. Rosie is strong. One of the strongest people I know." I commented. I didn't want to show him how worried I was.

He opened his eyes and sat up straight. I hoped I hadn't overstepped my bounds. He probably didn't want to hear what I thought about everything.

Before I could keep fretting, he placed his hand on my head and gave it a pat.

"Thanks kid."

When I looked over at Enzo he smiled at me warmly, like he was pleased with my interaction with his best man.

"What did she eat yesterday that could have made her sick?" Gino inquired.

"What?" Fiero raised his head.

"Well, if you said she hadn't had anything at all today, what could she have ingested yesterday that would have caused this?" it seemed like Gino was growing irritated that our minds weren't working as quickly as his.