Chapter Forty Six:

Start from the beginning

When the siblings got back to their common room, Hermione jumped off the couch in excitement and nearly flew across the room at them. Ron looked like he had been dealing with an excited Hermione for a while and was a hit tired. Lily jumped a bit in surprise at the girl's enthusiasm.

"Harry, Lily! Are you alright?" Hermione asked.

"We-" Lily began.

"Yeah." Harry interrupted, causing Lily to look at him, wondering why he was keeping the events in detention secret from even Ron and Hermione.

"Good. So, I've been thinking and I think I've found a way to learn defensive magic without Umbridge!" Hermione exclaimed.

"Really? How?" Lily asked.

"We teach ourselves! We could create a secret group where we learn defensive magic all on our own! And Harry could teach us!" Hermione rambled.

"Hang on- me?!" Harry asked.

"Yes!" Hermione nodded vigorously, "You've got more experience than anyone, and people will listen to you!"

"I don't think that's a good idea." Harry said, "What if Umbridge finds out?"

"Who cares?" Hermione said, "This is important!"

Harry looked to Ron.

"She's been like this all evening." Ron confirmed.

"Oh, come on! We have the chance to do something great. We need to be prepared for Voldemort."

Ron flinched at the name.

"I..." Harry trailed off indecisively before looking to his sister for her opinion.

"I think it's a good idea." Lily said, surprising him, "It's like creating our own Order... like our parents were a part of."

Harry looked at his sister for a moment as if trying to read her mind before deciding.

"Okay." Harry decided, "Let's do it."

"Great! I've got so many ideas! We need a place to meet first though." Hermione said.

"Three Broomsticks?" Ron suggested.

"Too busy, word might get back to Umbridge. How about the Hog's Head?" Hermione said.

"That place is creepy." Ron frowned.

"Exactly, the perfect spot for a secret meeting!" Hermione grinned.

Ron looked to Harry with wide eyes.

"I think we've corrupted her, mate." He said.

"Oh hush." Hermione laughed, before leaning back on the couch, "So who should we invite?"

"I guess people like Ginny, Fred, George, Neville, Seamus, Parvati, Dean..." Harry trailed off in thought.

"Those are all Gryffindors, what about other houses?" Lily said, "Like Lena? And Deci and Luna."

"Fine, but no Slytherins." Ron shuddered.

"Why not?" Lily asked.

"They're all working with Umbridge." He replied.

"Not all of them." Lily protested.

"We aren't inviting your pal Malfoy, if that's what you're getting at." Harry said.

Lily gave him a look.

"No, actually. I think he's too involved with Umbridge; she probably wants him to join her inquisitorial squad, I was just thinking about other Slytherins who want to learn to defend themselves."

"It'd be too risky." Harry said, "We don't know who is okay, and who's..."

"working with Death Eaters." Ron finished.

"Come on, what if I found out some people?" Lily asked.

"You? How?" Harry asked her.

"I'll go undercover or something." She waved him off.

The boys looked to Hermione.

"...I think Lily's right." Hermione sighed, "If anything they have the most need to learn defensive magic, with their families possibly being on Voldemort's side."

Ron flinched again.

"Okay," Hermione clapped her hands together, "If that's all, we should head off to bed! We can plan more tomorrow."

The boys glanced at each other before nodding and saying goodnight to Hermione and Lily. The two girls then climbed up the stairs to their dorm and prepared for bed.

"You really think it'll be a good idea for you to go asking around for Slytherins who want to learn defense?" Hermione quietly asked Lily after making sure Parvati and Lavender weren't listening.

"I'll be discreet." Lily promised.

"Okay. Just... be careful." Hermione requested.

"I will." Lily replied and gave Hermione a smile, "Thanks, 'Mione."