My chaotic mess [Ben x Reader]

Title: My chaotic mess

Pairing: Ben Barnes x Female!Reader

Word count: 3.5k

Published: 1 July 2021

Author: Heloise Daphne Brightmore

Notes: For clarification, Evie is Evan Rachel Wood, but that's her nickname. 

Notes: If you enjoy my stories, please consider donating and supporting me on Ko-fi. Of course, it's completely your choice, I will continue updating for free anyway :) Thank you <3 [ ko-fi.com/heloisedaphnebrightmore ]

Seated by the side of your kitchen table, you played with the spoon in your cup of tea, still steaming hot. Your mind was elsewhere, to be exact at the gala Evie, Ben and you attended to. The three of you have been friends for a while, it was no secret even in front of all the cameras that you were joined by the hip. But whilst Evie was a very close, dear friend to you, Ben meant more. Your feelings weren't platonic, you have fallen for the man. You couldn't really pinpoint when it happened, you just knew that what you and Ben had was no friendship from your side anymore.

Ben opened the door for you, as you stepped inside the hallway of the castle-like mansion the gala was held at. He placed his hand on your back, your low-cut dress giving him clear access to your naked back, his palm touching your exposed skin. Electricity shot through your body as he touched you, your eyes meeting his when you turned to look up at him. He offered you a gentle smile, his eyes only looking at you. For a second you felt as though it was only you and him in that moment and none of you wanted to step out of that trance. But Evie's cough ruined the moment and after an awkward glance you both continued your way towards the ballroom.

"Someone is daydreaming again," Evie chuckled from across the table. She spent the night over at your place, slowly making it some sort of a tradition. You felt as though she had spent more time in your house than in hers.

"I was just thinking," you shrugged nonchalantly.

"Tall, dark and handsome?" She chuckled, painfully aware of your feelings for your mutual friend.

"No, just about last night," you tried to divert the subject, but the loud huffing sound leaving Evie's lips reassured you that it wouldn't be as easy as you wished.

"Come on, you know you don't have to hide your feelings in front of me," she offered you a sweet smile, one she always used when you talked about Ben. She just knew how hard it was for you and never wanted to make you feel any worse about it than you already did to yourself. Not intentionally at least. She did find involuntary enjoyment in teasing you.

"Sometimes you can only daydream about the person you like," you replied, focusing on your cup of tea, trying not to look up at her to see how much she pitied you.

"I have told you so many times, I honestly believe he likes you," she tried to lift your mood, but the conversation was a reoccurring one.

"And I have told you before that he only looks at me as a friend, nothing more," you repeated yourself for the umpteenth time.

"I saw the way you looked at each other last night. Only someone who is so painfully oblivious like you and Ben could possibly be blind to such an obvious chemistry," she huffed, annoyed by your resistance.

"Believe me, I would be the happiest person if you were right. He isn't just handsome, but sweet and kind and has a sense of humour that honestly lifts my mood in the darkest of times. But I'm a very impulsive person, who is also shy at times. Sometimes I'm a mess, whilst other times everything has to be precise around me. I believe I am rather kind at times, but on occasions I can be the worst person to talk to. I honestly think Ben wouldn't want such a conflicting person beside himself," you explained, earning an eye roll from Evie. However, before she could have responded, you heard the entrance door open and soon enough Ben's dark, lush head of hair appeared in the doorway, followed by a tired smile.