Blooming emotions [Ben Barnes x Reader]

Title: Blooming emotions 

Pairing: Ben Barnes x Female!Reader 

Word count: 4k 

Published: 8 January, 2021 

Author: Heloise Daphne Brightmore

Being friends with Ben was possibly the best and worst thing that ever happened to you. He has been the sweetest person you have ever met, he always listened when you seemed to have things to say, he offered a shoulder to cry on when you were having hard times. On the other hand, being in love with your best friend made all the memories bittersweet. All those precious moments you treasured and remembered so fondly were tainted by the thought you would never mean more than a mere friend to him.

You were angry at yourself for having feelings for him, but you couldn't possibly control how you felt. Hiding your feelings has become a habit that he didn't seem to realise. For someone who was so close to you, you weren't sure if he was oblivious or you were a damn good actress.

It occurred to you quite often that maybe he intentionally didn't realise how you forgot your eyes on him, how you touched his arm or his back more often that it might have been appropriate between friends, how you always asked him how he has been, even if you just talked the day before.

You just didn't understand how he could be so oblivious.

Ben has been away, shooting a new series for a couple of months, but finally he was on his way back home. You stood at the exit of the airport, impatiently waiting for him, your heart racing at a dangerous speed in anticipation.

It's only been a few months since he has left, there were times when he was gone even longer, but this time you just missed him too much. Your feelings kept growing and you weren't sure for how long you could stay by his side without revealing your secret, but as long as you could keep your mouth shut, you knew you had to, for the sake of your friendship.

Ben stepped out of the corridor that led to the exit, the automatic door opening in front of him. He looked around searching for you, his eyes scanning the hall, before his ability to see was gone. You jumped into his neck, your hair flying into his face, making him chuckle. He tried to disguise himself with a baseball hat and sunglasses, hoping to receive the least of the amount of attention, but he couldn't fool you.

As soon as he arrived, a wide grin spread across your face, your body filled with happiness and you started running towards him, throwing your arms around his neck. He didn't need time to process the situation, nor did he question your identity. The sweet scent you wore felt like home as he wrapped his arms around your waist, pulling you against him, hiding his face in the curve of your neck, his cap almost falling down.

"Hey," he murmured against your neck, tickling your skin. A silent chuckle left your lips as you pulled back to be able to look up at Ben.

"Hey," you smiled, feeling even happier. His mere presence made you all giddy at times. "You've been kinda missed, you know?!" you grinned happily as you removed your arms from his neck, trying to joke with him.

"I mean, you've been kinda missed too, I guess," he returned your line with a nonchalant shrug as you started walking to your car.

"In all honesty, I have missed you, Ben. Time seemed to go extremely slowly since you've been gone," you said as you took the passenger seat and gave your keys to Ben after packing his luggage into the trunk of the car and taking his seat beside you.

"So, have I. I'm sorry that I couldn't always reply. It has been a very exhausting filming process," he heaved a sigh, and you could see that he indeed seemed exhausted, even lost a bit of weight.