Coming home to you [Ben Barnes x Reader]

Title: Coming home to you

Pairing: Ben Barnes x Female!Reader

Word count: 3.3k 

Published: 20 February, 2021

Author: Heloise Daphne Brightmore

Notes: If you enjoy my stories, please consider donating and supporting me on Ko-fi. [ https://ko-fi.com/heloisedaphnebrightmore ]

Ben has always been a kind person. He never raised his voice, never made you feel like you were worth less, never tried to tell you what to do. Your relationship was based on mutual trust, love and respect.

However, things got heated over your last argument. It was a subject that has come up many times before. Usually, you gave in with a sweet smile, cuddling up to him, because your arguments were never big, but that certain fight just got out of hand and before you could have brought up a good argument against his actions, Ben was out the door with a bag full of clothes in his hand.

You didn't mean for the situation to escalate, nor did he, but it happened. It was the first time in two years that you have ended an argument in bad terms, worst terms to be precise. You regretted raising your voice and choosing the words you did, but it was too late to take them back now.

You sat on the couch, sniffling, cleaning your nose with a tissue, whilst watching the most heart-breaking romantic movie you could find on Netflix. You wore Ben's warm hoodie, his scent engulfing you in a comfortable silence. Wanting to feel closer to him, you thought about calling him up to apologise, but he wanted his space and although a tiny part of you still hoped he would want you back, a more realistic side of you knew that it was over for the both of you.

You scolded yourself for falling for him, knowing it would be heart-breaking to see him fly away each time he had work in another country. You knew it would hurt not seeing him for months, to watch him leave you behind, to see him only when he was available, regardless of how much you missed him. You tried not getting too attached to him, but he was a brilliant person and before you knew it, you fell for him harder than you expected. You were deeply in love with him and now your whole life felt like it was crumbling down around you.

It hurt to think of him, to inhale his intoxicating scent from his hoodie, to replay the happy memories in your head, but as masochistic as it sounded, you needed the pain, the clenching feeling in your chest that came after a breakup, to start fresh and renewed once again.

So, you decided to just get a box of ice-cream and cry your sorrow away. You didn't want to remember your fight, you didn't want to relive how stupid you both of you were, but a scene of a heavy argument in the film brought all your memories back at once.

*

Seated on the couch, legs crossed, back straightened, you waited for Ben to come home. You barely saw him, his work taking him away from you for months at times. You knew it would be hard from the very beginning, but sometimes you felt as if you weren't even important anymore.

Hearing the lock of the entrance door, you got up from the couch, arms crossed in front of your chest, waiting to unleash your anger on him. He arrived back to the country a week ago and you only caught a glimpse of him the day he arrived and you picked him up from the airport, feeling like the happiest person alive. But now you felt neglected.

"Good evening," you greeted him with a bitter tone in your voice.

"Evening, love," he smiled sweetly, but you couldn't return the kind gesture. He frowned at your serious expression, trying to recall any events that could have made you mad. "What have I done this time?" he chuckled playfully, but you couldn't laugh with him.