•Chapter 31•

Magsimula sa umpisa

He stares at the pistol in my hand, jaw ticking slightly. He then bites the insides of his cheek, nodding slowly, "So, it seems Elias already got you covered,"

He reaches into the pocket of his hoodie, fishes the keys to the garage, and unhooks one of the two keys, "This is a copy of the key to this depot. You're entitled the access to this place and all the equipment here," He drops the key into my palm, before pushing both hands into his pockets.

"My job here is done," He turns and walks away.

I tilt my head in confusion as I watch him squat to lift the rolling door up. Did I say anything wrong ?

"Aurick, wait!"

He looks at me, "Do us all a favor and keep Élise out of the picture. She doesn't deserve the target that'll be on her back,"

My eyes burn with both rage and hurt. Does he really think I'd do anything to endanger Élise ? Does he not know how hard I've been working to get answers and to keep Élise safe and protected at all times ?

He steps out of the garage and drags the door down, leaving me alone to ponder his unanticipated switch in mood.

He certainly has no idea what it means to be someone's everything.

My phone pings a text, 

~Armin: Where have you gone ? Your car is in our driveway~

~Me: Be there in 5~

Even after sending that text, I allow myself to stroll around the depot, touching the fabric of my mother's suits, cocking and snapping the string of the bow my mother used, and running my fingers across the keyboards.

Just as I decide I'm ready to leave, a screen mounted on one of the corners of the room lights up. Squinting, I notice how the screen shows Armin, from a slightly elevated angle as if it's mounted just at the top of a doorframe, standing somewhere.

I walk closer when Armin lifts his knuckles to knock. Not a second later, a knock on the steel door has me almost jumping out of my skin, my racing heart takes a minute longer to go back to normal.

The screen now shows Armin's knocking on this door.

I immediately pull the surprisingly heavy door up slightly, unable to push it further. When it's safe for him to grab the edge with both hands, he pushes it all the way up. Effortlessly, if I may add.

He dusts his palms, "I'm guessing you've already met with Aurick ?"

I nod, "I have,"

He cocks his head to the side, regarding me, "And I'm guessing it didn't go well, judging by the look in your eyes and the way Aurick left a few seconds before I came here,"

I shake my head, "It didn't," But I don't elaborate and thankfully, Armin doesn't push the subject further, making a slow circle to take a comprehensive look around the place, eyes full of questions.

I step outside the depot, "Shall we start our investigation ?"

He excitedly joins me outside, rubbing his palms together, "Thought you'd never ask,"

Herr Bastian and Frau Marlene's welcome is nothing short of heartwarming, but Armin excuses us quickly, not allowing any of his parents an opportunity to attempt to catch up.

Once we're inside my father's office, Armin sits behind the computer screen, and I stand behind him, watching as he types the password.

When we're granted access, I watch closely as he guides the cursor to the file titled "My newest pasta recipe" and double clicks it. Of course, that window with the puzzle pops up.