thirteen

Alivia Altamar, ladies and gentlemen!

The night carried away any evidence of what happened to Alivia as the sun rose. Upon awakening, Finnick didn't notice a thing; he went on as normally as he could, he left the room to take a shower and came back to get Alivia for their personal assessment.

Sat down, waiting, Finnick couldn't ignore anymore the lack of conversation on Alivia's side. He didn't think she'd said a single thing all morning. That realization made Finnick incapable of shutting up. The silence on Alivia's part was so loud it was starting to get overwhelming for him. While practically breathing words, he tried to think of something he could've done to make her act so distant. Alivia didn't seem mad but her eyes refused to meet him.

Perhaps it was the fact that he slept on her bed; it was a boundary they had yet to cross until yesterday. Finnick didn't think too much of it when he woke up but maybe she wasn't comfortable with it. What else could have possibly happened between this morning and the night before? he thought.

On the other hand, Alivia was struggling to stay alert. She was exhausted and emotionally drained but Finnick was apparently overly excited. He tapped her thigh three times and from then on just didn't stop talking. Gossip, secrets and plain babbling from the people around them. He was decent enough to keep some discretion so he leaned in to maintain the secrecy. They sat down so close Alivia could almost taste the mixture of honey and cinnamon he smelled like.

It was just the distraction she needed until it was time for District 4. The male tribute was called first and Finnick stood up exuding confidence. Alivia felt the need to say something so she gently tugged at his sleeve, making him turn around slightly. "Hey," she cleared her throat, "good luck."

Finnick smiled, that was the first thing she'd said to him all day.

It took no more than ten minutes but Alivia was left alone in that room with the rest of the tributes. Her eyes scanned the room, landing on Peeta who smiled at her amicably and Katniss that only nodded politely. When her turn was up, Finnick walked past her, muttering good luck back.

By midday she was feeling a lot better.

Alivia didn't bother on looking at her score, neither did Finnick. They were escorted to their rooms to prepare for the media interviews. This time, Alivia avoided getting ready around him. She had strategically removed herself from every situation that might involve Finnick and the Capitol staff until it was absolutely necessary.

Assaulting her heart right as she entered the living room, Alivia almost missed a step when she heard Finnick say my love loud and clear.

Soon enough she realized that Finnick wasn't even talking to her, he was talking–more like reading–to himself. He muttered things over and over, as if trying to memorize the crumbled piece of paper in his hands.

"And If I die in that arena," he muttered to himself. "Looks wistful at the camera?"

A snort escaped through his now sealed lips. Then, Alivia allowed herself to look at him. His top had a very low v neck that really put to test her decency.

Clearing her throat–and mind–she spoke, "Fully dressed this time, huh?"

Head raising and dimples welcoming her, he stood up from his spot on the couch.

"You look fantastic, as per usual."

She dismissed the comment, pacing around. "So, whatcha got there?"

"Oh, a bunch of nonsense." He rolled his eyes and ripped the paper completely. "Are you ready?"

Alivia nodded.