Chapter 13

"Everything ready?" Lexi asked me as she fixed my uniform, a grey tunic with chest pockets and matching pants.

"Yes. The trolley, the broom, the bags, everything's ready" I said pointing to each item.

It was Friday evening and we stood outside the Prescott's with a fake ID and a fake Prescott pass in my hand.

Brian has connections to everything and everyone so it wasn't really hard to obtain them. Sometimes it makes me wonder whether he's in part of some gang. But for now it became useful. He even convinced the girl he slept with to give me the Friday shift and we made sure her job or the cleaning agency wouldn't be in any trouble because of my actions. We have a plan B and C for that - which includes kind of feigning an attack, Brian's ideas not mine.

And technically I'm not going there to steal from Ian. I'm just merely getting my stuff back.

We knew that Ian wouldn't be coming home till late evening because he has an important meeting related to the event tomorrow. The event is taking place targeting our new product launch this summer so he would be hella busy tonight. And I would be safe.

"Okay" Brian checked his watch. "Go now"

I took a deep breath and pulled the trolley inside. I showed my ID and the pass to the security and put a cap over my head to avoid running into any of our executives who might be living here. Better be safe than sorry.

And I wasn't a very unpopular face now, thanks to idiot Kingston. But no one would recognise me in a cleaning uniform unless I come really close to them.

But if I got caught by the security I'll just reveal my golden card as Ian's fiancé so as to avoid jail time for breaking in. That's the plan Z. But then they would warn Ian before I could even grab my stuff. So I had to be careful.

I took the elevator and reached the top most floor where Ian Kingston lives. The security below unlocked his door through remote control after I gave them my pass so the door just needed a little push to open.

And when I did, I almost fainted.

Inside was a ring chandelier hanging from the ceiling above and placed on either sides of the living room were comfortable sofas. Facing the black piano was a fabulous kitchen and next to it was the spiral staircase leading upstairs.

And the view - fantastic!

Did I really say no to live in here? Hailey keep you head straight. Get your stuff and go.

But-

Go!

I fought with my inner self which still remembers the word self respect. But me - I'll fall in love with anything that is luxurious. Human nature people, can't help it.

In awe, I sprinted upstairs and looked around, completely astonished by the beauty of the penthouse. The furniture, the view, the structure everything is just so perfect.

Reeling myself back to reality I went to one of the rooms and opened it, hoping my stuff would be in it. But there was nothing inside except for the expensive furniture, so I assumed it was a guest room.

I went to the room next to it but it was also the same - expensive furniture and no Hailey's belongings. Then I found another door at the corner and tried opening it but it was locked. Ha.

Across the upper floor there were two doors adjacent to each other. I opened one and found myself dragged into a world of black and white.

I was inside a large room with a view that captured the whole of New York. Black curtains hung at either sides of the glass wall and in the middle of the room was a white king size bed with black sheets draped across it. Every wall was painted in black and on the ceiling hung a similar ring chandelier but glowing with a white light.

Suspecting my belongings were here, I opened the sliding doors of the walk in wardrobe and found rows and rows of suit jackets and shirts hanging from bars. There were countless shoes and countless ties in the lower see-through drawers, placed neatly without a single speck of dust anywhere.

Everything was glamourous.

I smiled to myself. This is what I aspire to be. Rich and powerful.

Then I quickly shook my head realising how stupid I sound.

I strode back out the door and closed it firmly before going to the other room. As I opened it's door the first thing I noticed was my laptop and my penholder. My babies!

I sprinted inside and started opening every drawer. Inside were my files and my notebooks. Next to the table was a walnut bookcase with my stories books stacked in it. And then there was the closet with my clothes in it. I noticed there were few extra things too. Like gorgeous handbags, expensive dresses and radiant heels.

Did Ian really buy these for me? Jeez man, you're making it really hard for me. Hailey focus!!! You don't fall for the rich. You work hard and become the rich.

Then my eyes fell on the room. It had three white walls with one glass wall covered by beige curtains and in the middle was a large wooden bed over a soft rug that would sooth the soles of my feet. Now I really wish I could kick Ian out and live here.

Swallowing up all my ridiculous thoughts I brought several garbage bags up and started filling my stuff in.

I took them back to the trolley and was about to go up to close the room's door when I heard numbers being pressed on the keypad outside.

Then the main door opened and my heart began hammering in my chest as fear pulsed through me, crippling my insides with terror.

Ian appeared through the door and my face paled.

What's he doing here???

Panic surged through me and I quickly lowered my cap, covering my eyes. Then I took the broom from the trolley and started sweeping hastily.

Ian removed his coat and loosened his tie before collapsing into the couch looking exhausted. He spared me one unconcerned glance and closed his eyes with a hand over his forehead.

Realising this was my time to run away I quickly pushed the trolley towards the direction of the door.

"There's dust in here"

I came to an abrupt halt, panic surging through me, sweat trickling down my forehead. Slowly, I turned my head towards Ian, hiding my face under the cap.

Ian jerked his chin towards the small table by the glass wall and then closed his eyes again.

I stood paralysed for moment and then confirming he wasn't going to open them again, I released all the breath I had been holding. Gathering up all my courage I strode over to the table and started sweeping the dust under it.

Quickly, quickly, quickly Hailey.

"I know that ring"

All the colour drained out of my face.

Instantly my gaze fell on the ring in my finger and terror caused through me, paralysing every inch of my body. How the hell did I forget to take it off???

I heard him stand up and walk towards me, his each step tormenting me with fear.

"I know that ring because-" He came to a halt next to me.

"I gave it"

Then he pulled on my cap, letting locks of dark brown hair fall down my shoulders.

"Hello fiancé"

Next update:- 18/5/21