"Oh, but my dear, you have broken this rule countless of times. It is the first and simplest rule, and yet you manage to break it every time. Haven't your previous punishments taught you enough?"

A shiver ran through her whole body as she felt his rough hand trace the scar that cut across the side of her neck. She forced the memories of that punishment out of her head in an attempt to hold on to the last bit of self control she possessed. She could already feel that her heart rate was speeding up, indicating that things would likely go downhill from there.

"I'm sorry, sir, it won't happen again."

"I can't be sure of that, 12505A. You are to go to the bottom floor of Building F, in Room 126 after classes are over. Do you understand?"

The whole class seemed to restrain a gasp. They all knew what type of punishments went down in that room. She did not make sound, and instead just dug her fingernails into her own skin to stop herself from lashing out. This wasn't happening, this wasn't happening.

"Failure to cooperate will result in harsher punishment."

Again, she did not reply. She feared that opening her mouth would result in her breaking down into tears. And crying wasn't allowed either. That would just result in more punishments, more problems, and more pain.

"Do you understand, 12505A?"

She finally opened her mouth to speak, her voice coming out breathy and weak. "Yes, sir."

"Say it again. I didn't hear you well."

She swallowed before trying to speak again. "Yes, sir," she replied, her voice stronger than the last time.

"Good," the Warden spoke, finally leaving her side and moving on down the row.

She could not even let out a sigh of relief because she knew what was coming for her later. Soon after the Warden finished his inspection, the Pedagogue entered the classroom for the daily lesson. But she barely even registered his existence. He was a poor excuse for a man anyway, being lean and frail. That was likely the reason why he was stuck with the teaching job instead of a high ranking position. He began the lesson, but her thoughts were elsewhere. She pulled out her notebooks and textbooks and opened them like everyone else, but did not look at them. She heard the teacher's voice, but none of his words registered in her head.

"Do you have something better to be thinking about, 12505A?" he asked suddenly, almost making her jump in surprise.

"No, sir."

"Then why do you look so bored? Is my lesson boring you?"

"No, sir."

"Do you want me to call the Warden back here?"

"No, sir."

"I thought so."

His eyes scanned around the room, his expression growing more grim by the minute. Everyone could tell that he was getting agitated. They were all just internally bracing for the moment he finally snapped. At that moment came sooner than they thought.

"What is wrong with all of you?" he screamed, starling everyone in the room. He stalked over a random student and slammed his hands on the desk. "Why aren't you paying attention to me?"

The victim he had chosen, 81305B, hesitated, not knowing how to respond. At that point, the Pedagogue was seething, and she could practically see the smoke coming out of his pale wrinkly ears.

"Answer my question, 81305B!"

"I was thinking about 12505A, sir. About her punishment, sir."

"And that was more important than my lesson?"

"No, sir."

"Would you like to join her in her punishment?"

The boy's eyes widened in fear. "No, sir."

"Then you keep you focus on my teaching and not on anyone else. Do you understand?"

He nodded quickly. "Yes, sir."

Finally satisfied after making one of his students squirm, he promptly returned to the lesson. She believed he took pleasure in asserting his dominance over his pupils. Since he was given one of the most menial tasks in the government hierarchy, he would jump at any chance he got to show that he was superior.

Pushing those thoughts from her mind, she attempted to focus on the lesson. The clock must have decided that this was the day it wanted to be lazy because its hands moved at a painstakingly slow pace. Tick...tick...tick... The Pedagogue marched around the room in his typical drill sergeant manner, throwing questions and commands all over the place and expecting them to catch everything. All the information about the revolt in the year 2501 completely flew over her head and probably landed in the corner of the room. Needless to say, her thoughts were in a complete jumble. The pupils took a quick break for lunchtime and then promptly returned to their studies. Time seemed to move slower after the meal. Tick.......tick........tick......... The sound of the final bell was both music to her ears and a sickening reminder of what was going to come. As usual, they all remained seated until the Pedagogue dismissed them. Then, they all rose, gathered their things, and filed out of the room.

Everyone was quietly heading to the dormitory as usual. She almost followed them out of habit, but froze when the sickening memory wormed into her mind and wrapped itself around her brain. Letting out a silent sigh, she broke away from the group and headed toward Building F. 101505B cast her a pitying glance before disappearing down the hallway. 12505A felt her heart racing at an unhealthy pace. It was as if her heart itself was fearing that it would no longer beat again and wanted to run as far away from there as possible. An invisible thread seemed to tug at her spine, urging her to run. Her entire being seemed to be telling her to run. And she wanted to run, more than anything. But she knew deep deep inside under all the terror that she could not run. She was trapped there and there was nothing she could do about it.

She arrived at the door after a long and soul crushing walk there. Biting her lip harshly, she knocked on the door. It opened to reveal men standing there. The smell of burnt and rotting flesh slapped her in the face and made her stomach turn. She feared to see what else the horrid room held.

"Welcome, 12505A," one mad greeted. "Step inside so we may begin."