2.7: L&W Rules - Recreational Activities Happen on Your Own Time

Start from the beginning

Whispers buzzed all over the room.

"Not finished-" He raised his hand to the air to silence everyone just like that, he waited a minute for dead silence before he opened his mouth again and continued, "We are not just choosing anyone for this position, as you may know, everyone in the New York office has been let go, and we would not hesitate to do the same if anyone was to ruin our reputation and our image as a whole. I expect no procrastination and recreational activities in the hours you are in this building."

Everyone looked at me. Nathaniel made eye contact too. I wanted to shrink and hide from the embarrassment I've been dumped onto my shoulders, and I wish it did weigh me further down to the ground.

"For what it's worth, a majority of you in this room could possibly be promoted before the end of this year. Who knows, am I right, Adrian?" His attempts to get my Father to say a word failed, despite the pauses and leaving quite an open door, my Father was in no way near the mood to even utter a single word. Nathaniel sighed and added, "I also announce that my pregnant wife and I are expecting a boy."

He was clever. Nathaniel knew how to make the topic be about him, a trait he proudly paraded around everything in his life. I only picked up on it at the beginning of the year, when Dominic and I began to go on a whacky ride in the relationship rollercoaster - and at the moment, we were in that steep ride down. His announcement of his personal life added a sudden weight on my shoulders, Dominic and I exchanged glances, which was unexpected at my end, but the face we did made me feel that sense of connection with him spark back. Those few seconds with our eyes locked certainly made it feel like minutes, but once we turned away, the feeling turned sour and I felt more disconnected with him than before.

One by one, the staff congratulated Nathaniel. I didn't. As soon as it was clear to go, I left, walking out of the big meeting room and waited for Erika and Hamish down to the main floor. I waited for a while, considering that my best friend was called forth by my Father and the other close friend pretended to ignore me like he usually did since we all agreed to play our part.

"Marianne," I heard my name.

"Yes?"

Dominic held onto my arms and led me to the side, away from the few associates starting to wander down the stairs. He made sure no one saw us and he suddenly pressed his lips against mine, a weird sensation came over me and my body felt so... Alone. I thought my fiancé kissing me would give me the lift up that I needed, but he didn't. Instead, I parted from his loving gesture first, his expression confused as he asked, "What's wrong?"

"Why are you doing this?"

"What? Are you questioning me right now?"

I wriggled out his hold and pushed him away from me. I figured it was because of his Uncle that I was suddenly put off from him, or maybe it was from the days we were so distant from each other that doing that made things weird, but whatever it was, I didn't need to see him right now. When I caught a glimpse of Hamish talking with a junior associate, I used him as a way to get out of the situation with me and Dominic. I excused myself and slipped away, rushing over to the other male and took him away from his conversation he was already in.

"What's wrong?" Hamish asked the very same question, but the way he said it was the opposite to the stern, deep voice Dominic did. His was more embracing.

"I need a breather after work. What do you say we go for dinner tonight after my meeting?" I changed the topic.

"Uh, sure, I'll go tell Erika-"

I grabbed his arm before he turned. "No, just me and you, it's not really about what we're planning. More of a catch up, reminisce of the good old days, you know?"