Chapter 28: Life Or Death

Start from the beginning

"Matt," He struggled to mutter between his clenched teeth. "Matt's hurt."

Kai placed his hand on the ground to push himself to his feet, cutting his palm on a broken piece of glass as he went. He stumbled as he kept a grip on his side and hurried out the door. 

Rushing behind him, I followed as he pushed his way through the castle to the door that led to the backyard. 

As he broke into the sunlight, Aiden and Rick were carrying a bloodied Matt up the steps from the beach. 

"What the fuck happened?!" Kai yelled as he rushed to the side of Matt. 

His mate was unconscious, a wooden dagger protruding from his abdomen. 

"Let's get him inside first," Aiden said lowly. 

Kai looked about to kill someone, but he relented as they hurriedly got Matt to the infirmary. 

Standing outside the door, I was joined by Calypso and other wolves as we listened to Dr. Nazra dolling out instructions to save Matt. 

Aiden and Rick exited the room, both covered in the deep red of their pack member's blood. 

"How's Matt?" I asked anxiously, the image of both him and Kai flashing in my mind.

"Dr. Nazra's working on him, the stake just missed his lung," Aiden said. 

"And you? Are you okay?" I grabbed is shoulders and turned him around to ensure he wasn't wounded.

"I'm fine," He assured me before anger flamed in his eyes. "It was a vampire."

Everyone drew in a shaky breath as I asked, "In daylight?"

"No. This one was hiding in the boat we have in shed down on the beach. We don't know how it got past border patrol, but it climbed out and attacked Matt in the dark room. I don't know how long he was in there but he was still strong, used Matt's wooden dagger and stabbed him. The only reason he was in there was to do the weekly cheek to ensure no one stole our boats."

"Is it dead?" I felt my anger surging forward. 

"Not yet, we have the shed surrounded from the outside. I have to go back and take care of it," He said lifting his hands to brush back my hair but stopping short as they were smeared with blood. 

"Go, I'll take care of things here," I assured him. 

"Tourmaline?" He asked with worry.

"She's in the pool with the mermaids, safe."

With a nod, he and Rick rushed back to the beach. 

"I'll go keep an eye on Tourmaline," Calypso said and I thanked her. 

Calling the remaining wolves forward, I began delegating tasks. 

"I need someone to go the control room and review all the footage from the past week to see how and when the vampire got here. I need another to go Kai and Matt's room and prepare for Matt to be transferred once Dr. Nazra approves it. I'm sure he'd want to be comfortable as he recovers."

As they left, I spotted two faces I knew I could trust. 

"Loly and Paul, stay behind. The rest of you are free to go," I smiled gently at the two wolves who accompanied me on my trip from my old pack to the coast. 

"Luna," Loly greeted with a bow. Paul was still hesitant of trusting me, which I appreciated since it meant he truly cared for Aiden and the Pack's wellbeing.

 "Here's what I need you two to do," I lowered my voice as I stepped closer to them and outlined exactly what I needed them to do. 

They were both surprised by my request, but they agreed nonetheless. I could sense a million questions from them, but I promised it will all make sense in good time.