Mabel goes Mad

The reaction was instantaneous. Soon the hall was filled with the voices of Dipper, Gideon, and Pacifica.

"Kathy!" Gideon called. "Are you alright?!"

"Let her go, you insufferable witch!" Pacifica tried to storm at her but Gideon held her back.

"Mabel, what are you doing?!" Dipper looked at his sister as if she were a stranger. From the looks of it, she was.

Mabel had not been sleeping well. Bags hung under her eyes, dark and big. Her usually soft and flawless skin was dry and pale. Mabel's blue eyes, which usually sparkled with mischief, were now crazed and wide. Her silky gorgeous hair was tangled up into a rat's nest on her head. And if her heaving chest was anything to go by, she was breathing pretty hard.

She blew at a strand of hair that fell on her face. "What needs to be done, Mason! Unlike some people, I complete my missions! You had one job! Pretend to be Kathy and find the location of the journals! Then we go and take them and leave this miserable place! You're such a failure! No wonder mom and dad love me more! You're a huge disappointment!"

At Mabel's words, Dipper's face looked down. He didn't want her or anyone else to see the tears in his eyes.

"It doesn't matter anymore. Everything is ruined. I've had to improvise, but I think my new plan should work out perfectly.
We're getting the journals tonight if it's the last thing I do! Now take us to the journals and your friend here will be returned unharmed!"

"Don't listen to her!" Kathy yelled.

"Shut up, Rollins!" Mabel pressed the dagger harder. Kathy let out an involuntary gasp of pain.

Gideon held out his hands in front of him. "Hey, calm down." He looked back towards Dipper and Pacifica. "Everyone. No one needs to get hurt. Mabel, please. Put the knife down."

"Why?! So you can grab Kathy and get away with the journals?! Over my dead body!"

Gideon tried to put on his most soothing voice even though he was extremely terrified. Who wouldn't be if they saw their friend in the hands of a psycho with a very sharp blade? "Look, we're not going to try anything. All we want is Kathy safe and sound."

"Then you will do as I say." She hissed. "Now take me to the journals or I'll slit her throat right here and now!"

Gideon looked back at Dipper hopefully. He needed to look at him and see if he had an idea of how to get out of this mess. He had revealed himself to them when he was pretending to be Kathy. Granted, he was Kathy for who knows how long, but still. Something told him that wasn't part of the plan nor was this. And Dipper knew Mabel better than anyone. She was his twin. So if there was a modicum of hope or determination in Dipper's eyes he knew they still had a shot.

But when he saw the look of defeat on Dipper's face, however, he knew that it was all over. They had no other choices.

"Ok, fine." He said. "But you have to promise me that once we hand them over you'll let Kathy go."

Mabel grinned, triumphant. "Oh, absolutely, my love. I won't harm a little hair on her head."

He knew she was lying.

Everyone did.

Yet he wanted to believe that maybe there was a sliver of decency in Mabel Gleeful. That she would be merciful and true to her word. Even though he knew just what type of person Mabel was raised to be.

Still, he had to try.

Besides if there was even a slight chance that Kathy could come out of this alive he would take it.