A not-so-Gleeful surprise

Pacifica apologized multiple times for getting angry and not listening to them. Then Gideon and Kathy apologized for tricking Pacifica and for not telling her sooner. Eventually, they stopped apologized for everything, and tried to move on with their lives. However, after a few days of being friends again, they realized it was not going to be easy.

Things with the trio were still very delicate and they knew it. So they began to walk around eggshells with each other and tried to avoid conflicts as much as possible. Which wasn't easy, especially for Kathy, who was known for having some pretty strong opinions. Opinions that were very different from Gideon or Pacifica's.
Now whenever they said something Kathy didn't agree with, she would open her mouth to argue. Then she'd remember who she was talking to and promptly closed her mouth.

Although that didn't mean that she was hiding her true feelings. Every time she had to hold her tongue she got this look on her face like she was constipated or in pain. It was not a sight that Gideon or Pacifica enjoyed.

They hoped that whatever was going on with them was just a phase and that they would grow out of it. However, this phase had been going for almost a month. They feared that they would forever stay in this state and have to walk on eggshells for the rest of their lives.

That is until Kathy had enough.

It was a day like any other. Gideon woke up dreading the day, Pacifica had high hopes for something different, and Kathy looked all sorts of uncomfortable. They went to breakfast and class that morning like they had every day before. Everything seemed as normal as could be.

Then, for no apparent reason, Kathy stood up during lunch and grabbed her friends. Unfortunately, she had grabbed them by the hood of their robes so, as a result, she choked them a little. Thankfully, she loosened her grip and started walking very slowly. This gave them a chance to compose themselves and straighten themselves out. Now instead of being dragged by Kathy, they walked alongside her. Yet she still clutched their hoods as if they were going to make a run for it. Gideon didn't know why she thought they would do anything like that. They were friends and had no reason to run from her. Besides, she knew Hogwarts pretty well. Even if they did run she would find them no matter where they hid.

So running was pointless.

Gideon didn't know how long they walked and he didn't pay attention to their surroundings. He was lost in his thoughts trying to figure out what was going on that he didn't even notice that they stopped. He didn't even realize that Kathy and Pacifica were staring at him until one of them cleared their throat. It was Pacifica.

He wondered why they were looking at him with such expectant faces. Then he figured it out. Kathy had just asked him a question and he was too caught up with his thoughts to even hear or answer.

So he gave Kathy an apologetic look and said, "Sorry I was thinking a little too hard."

Kathy nodded, understanding. "Well, at least you're not dead. For a second there I thought we were going to have to rush you to the Hospital Wing. It would have given me the perfect excuse to act like a soap actress. You know, crying and talking about how it should have been me? That kinda stuff."

Pacifica raised her eyebrows. "I hope you would act that way whether you had the opportunity or not. I mean, our good friend is over there with his life in the balance. If you didn't start talking about how it should have been you or crying furiously I'd be a little concerned."

Kathy playfully glared at her. "Yes, of course, I would. I'm not soulless. Besides, I think I would be too worried to even think about it. I'd probably just act as a soap actress because that's what my natural response would be."