Playing Keep-away

When the trio proposed to Linus that he and the journal be hidden in the room of requirement, he was, understandably, hesitant.

"What if you put me down somewhere and you can't find me? Or what if something falls on top of me? If that happens then you could walk past me a thousand times and never find me. You might even think that the place where you put me doesn't exist." He argued.

Kathy just looked at him in disbelief. "You could just pop out of the journal and show us where the journal is. It's not rocket science. Besides, you could wait by the door for one of us to show up and then guide us the whole way there. We'll be checking up on you at least once a week. There's nothing to worry about. Unless one of us goes insane and moves it around so much that they forgot where they put it. Then we'd lose it but you could still try to find us."

Linus wasn't convinced. "What if I have to call you to find you and end up attracting the Gleeful's attention? Maybe it would be better if you just leave me in the dorm with Gideon."

Pacifica shook her head. "No. Then you'd be much easier to find. It's better if we just put you in the room of requirement."

"Besides it'd be pretty easy to break into the dormitory. I mean, all someone would have to do was be crazy and determined enough to learn the secret way into the Hufflepuff dormitory."

"Are the twins really that insane that they'd try to do that?" Gideon asked Kathy.

Kathy nodded. "Without a doubt. They'd probably even blow up the entrance if they were frustrated enough."

Pacifica instantly looked worried. "Do you think that would work?"

"Let's not find out," Kathy said. "Now the room of requirement is like a maze. Even if somehow they found it, it'd be pretty hard to navigate. They're more likely to get lost in there than find the journal. Also, there's loads of crap in there. All we'd have to do is hide the journal in a stack of books or under a pile of stuff big enough to cover it. The room is literally the place of hidden things. It's only logical that we hide the thing we want hidden in there."

Linus nodded but the group could tell he was still on the fence. "Are we sure this is 100% foolproof? I mean, I don't want to end up in the hands of those brats. After all, you've told me they are not someone I'd like to cross paths with."

Kathy was getting frustrated and Gideon knew that it was only a matter of time before she exploded. Honestly, he was right there with her. Why did Linus seem to be thinking so negatively about this whole thing?

"I just feel like we haven't truly thought this through all the way. There must be some other way-"

"There is no other way!" Kathy yelled, practically ripping her hair out. "I mean, there aren't any other ways as far as we can see! Unless you have a great idea, book boy!"

Linus gaped like a fish, opening and closing his mouth. He couldn't seem to believe that Kathy had spoken to him in such a manner. "Well, I never!"

Pacifica, who was trying her best to figure out a way to end this peacefully, spoke up.

"Linus, I want to apologize on behalf of Kathy. We're just trying our best and doing what we think will keep you safe. However, you have been shooting down all of our ideas and it's getting a little annoying. We know that a lot of things can go wrong, but we're trying to think of the things that can go right. Like you'll be safe and the twins will never find you." She gave Linus some pleading eyes. "Please Linus, tell me. Why are you so focused on the negatives right now?"

Linus shifted uncomfortably where he stood. He knew that he couldn't lie to Pacifica and even if he did, Kathy would know. She always could smell a lie from a mile away. So he decided it was in his best interest to just tell them the truth, no matter how embarrassing it was.