The Rekindling

Christmas, after Kathy came clean and gained the trust of Gideon and Linus, was a very pleasant matter. Gideon gave Kathy his gift without having to be anonymous and, shockingly, she gave him one too. She had gotten him some of his favorite candy (chocolate frogs) and a nice soft blanket with a wolf printed on it. She told him that the wolf was supposed to protect him as he slept. Gideon couldn't tell if she had been joking or not and couldn't help feeling a little hesitant towards the blanket.

After they had finished opening presents they went down to breakfast and had the best Christmas breakfast ever. Then they spent the rest of the day lounging around toasting things on the fire and talking about pretty much everything. Kathy told him she couldn't wait till the third year when they would get a chance to choose which classes they wanted. She told him she wanted to be in Care of Magical Creatures and Ancient Runes.

"My dad told me all about the creatures he would learn about in class." She told him excitedly. "Bowtruckles, unicorns, fairies, fire crabs. They're all so fascinating. And I love the fact that we get to learn about them. It's a real improvement from how we used to kill and hunt the animals."

Gideon chuckled. "Yeah, I bet Pacifica was thinking the same thing."

The room went silent at the mention of the old friend. Or at least Kathy's old friend. They hadn't talked since the incident where Pacifica yelled at Kathy for ending their friendship, seemingly for no reason. While it was clear Kathy was only thinking about what was best for them, he did not think that she would be so understanding. Especially when Pacifica seemed not to remember anything that happened on Halloween night.

"So are you going to talk to her?" Gideon asked cautiously. He didn't want to make Kathy uncomfortable, but he wanted to know what was next.

Kathy sighed. "I guess I kind of have to don't I? I mean, she deserves to know the truth and make her own decisions about this whole situation. You did."

Gideon scrunched up his face. "Well, I didn't get to make the choice. I just touched the journal and it sort of launched itself on me. Still," Gideon added quickly at Kathy's glare. "I could have thrown the journal into the Black Lake anytime I wanted. So I guess I did have a choice."

Kathy nodded and smiled, content with Gideon's statement. Then her expression turned to one of worry.

"But I don't know how she's going to believe me. I mean, she seemed to be the only one of us who doesn't remember the night we found the journal."

Gideon nodded with a thoughtful expression on his face. "Yeah, I wonder why that is?"

It wasn't as if Gideon hadn't thought about it before. He had a few theories as to why Pacifica seemed to have a very specific sort of amnesia.

One of his theories was that only powerful or important witches and wizards could remember the journal. After all, Gideon did awaken the journal because he was supposedly a powerful wizard. Kathy also remembered and she was a descendant of Morgan Le Fay. That made her a pretty powerful and important witch in his book. All of this seemed to prove his theory that only powerful or important witches and wizards could be in the presence of the book and remember.

However, he didn't want to believe she wasn't an important or powerful witch. Yes, she had some trouble in certain classes but who hadn't? He did and the book for some reason found him worthy. So what was it that made someone worthy enough to remember the journal?

Gideon didn't have much time to think about it as Kathy sighed deeply bringing him out of his thoughts. "Who knows? It might just be one of the many mysteries of life where we never really find out the answer." Then she looked at him with a determined look on her face. "But one thing is for certain. She had a right to know whether she remembers or not."