"You watched it happen?" The girl gasped.

"Yes"

"I'm so sorry" She sniffled.

"You look just like her. It's too much really."

"I know."

"Huh?" Lucius asked in astonishment.

"I saw her picture. In Professor Snape's office."

"Oh him. He. . .and your mother were close friends. He also happens to be your godfather."

"He what?" Daphne had a hard time digesting that one.

"He is. I had expected it to be me but well. . ." he trailed off.

"You're my Uncle though" Daphne slightly tapped the topic.

Lucius was not expecting that but Daphne was sure she saw him smile.

"I thought you'd hate me for sending you into a muggle house."

"Not really. . .I love my parents. You should have visited though."

"Walter did."

"I loved him."

"So did he. It pained him to be away from you. But he had another family too. He married Marlee Jobert. And has a daughter named Astoria as I recall. Astoria Greengrass."

"I have another sister? Ofcourse I do." She shook her head in disbelief.

"Half sister. She doesn't know any of this. And I'd appreciate if you do not tell all of this to many people. You see The Dark Lord was vanquished and Lucy had a role in it. Had she helped him he would have won back then. So he blames Lucy. And he knows you exist somewhere. We do not want him getting to you or he'd love to kill you for revenge."

"So not only my family are not my family and my real family is dead. . .a dark wizard wants me dead too? That's umm-- a normal life yeah very normal." Daphne felt funny. Her life felt like some sick joke.

"Your real family is not dead Daphne." He stood in front of her and gave her a short hug. Lucius Malfoy didn't do hugs. But Lucy always used to make him do them. So when he saw that little girl. . .he really needed his sister back.

Daphne was caught off guard and regretted saying that. "Of course I still have you. . .and mum and dad and Hermione. . .And Draco??" See? So much to be grateful for.

"Yes and would you look at the time. . .I think you should head inside and get ready for the ball?" He tried to smile without looking intimidating.

***

"Did he say something mean?" Draco asked slightly worried.

"Not at all, he was really nice."

That was a first Draco thought to himself. "You look like you were crying"

"Malfoy!?"

"aah I did it again. It's just I don't like seeing you cry. And if you want to use my name as an insult. You're one too."

"I am a Greengrass" Daphne shrugged.

"What? No boss lady thing about how women don't have to take up their husband's names? Aunt Lucy never changed her surname."

"Really?" Daphne's admiration of her mother grew by the second.