05

CENTRAL CITY OF ELDORA 

✮ 13 DAYS BEFORE DISAPPEARANCE OF MACHINA KEY 

Capella still didn't believe that she deserved to be a part of Maintenance. No matter what the piece of paper had said, she was not made for this. Each step she took was heavy, as if someone had tied tons of gears to her feet. And she would've preferred that to what she had to do now. The crowd of people in the street only served to increase her anxiety. No one bothered to toss her their gaze, but she felt like they did; phantom looks prickled her skin nevertheless. The closer she got to the dome-shaped, gold building, standing a stark contrast to the grey and black constructions next to it, the less happy she was.

Her throat dried once she was standing in front of the aperture. Large stairs made out of similar gold hue as the main building greeted her. On either side of them were mechanical bots. In their hands, they held a replica of the Machina Key. Circular with three triangle protruding from its centre, that was what kept her city running. When she had been a child, the key had reminded her of a bird's head. And while that memory would have made her snicker, she couldn't find the enjoyment in it now.

Glancing over her shoulders, she waited for her brother to appear from the corner to pull her away from here. She hoped Ares was okay. Biting her bottom lip, worry bubbled in her chest when she turned her attention back to the gates waiting for her at the very top of the stairs. Taking in a deep breath, she lessened the distance between her and the entrance.

The bright line on the floor that was visible when the city pavements were translucent became brighter closer to the big gear at the door. Machina Key symbol was tacked on top of it, squared jagged lines that cut through it in half separated almost as if it had known that Capella had arrived.

In front of her, a small pathway led straight into another door, bolted shut with more tiny gears and nuts. Her anxiety settled a little once the moving cogwheels caught her attention. Steeling every fibre within her, she pushed through to walk down the corridor, where walls were made out of the smoothest gold-plated metal she had ever had the privilege to see. Nothing decorated the space, but it didn't have to. Not when the main attraction was the trinkets spinning and ticking inside of the second entrance barricade. Her fingers itched to touch the glass separating the cogs from being exposed to her.

And then, the wheels closer to a knob turned in counterclockwise in an alarming speed followed by a soft click, resonating in the air. A gasp got trapped in her mouth when the door opened slightly ajar, beckoning her inside.

It opened up immediately to a circular, expanse of an area. People were walking past by her without caring about her presence, some in pairs, some in small groups and some alone. All of them were wearing something similar to each other, almost as if they were in uniforms— dark grey and black vests and pants with delicate gold belt buckles and buttons for accent.