Before the Dance (Not edited)

It had been two complete weeks since Chase and I first made that bet. I definitely lost, but that's okay because I never realized what was missing in my life. Honestly, I thought I had a good thing going before I allowed him to enter my brain and crash all of my thoughts. Now, all I thought about was Chase and even though he can be snotty, he's a very great guy.

My mind shifts from one scene to the next as I slide on my baby blue dress and my four inch silver high heels. Barely standing six foot tall, I check myself in the mirror. Gorgeous, but I'll have to wait to see what Chase thinks. Before I know it, my mother walks through my bedroom door and gasps.

"My baby girl is growing up. You know, when I was in high school-"

Oh great another high school story.

"-I went to the Spring Dance with a guy named Ben. Boy did he know how to dance. And kiss. He knew how to kiss a girl too."

Blech. Just what I needed, another soppy mom story. I love my mom, but something about the way she always talks about herself when she was my age just kind of irritates me. It's almost as if she is comparing the things I do to see who was or is better and how her era had better music or something.

"Hey mom? Do you think we could work on my hair?"

"Sure honey, we can even go get your make up done if you would like..."

Some stranger touching my face? No thank you.

"Um, no thank you mom. I'd rather not. I don't exactly like my make up being done by someone else but thank you for the offer."

"Sure sweetie, are you all set to get started?"

I nod and we walk into the bathroom to work a miracle on my tomboy hair.

—-3 hours later—-

"Ta DA!!"

My mom introduces me into the living room and my dad smiles at me with the fatherly "I am so proud" look.

"I can't wait to see what Chase will think of our baby girl!" My mom squeals with joy as she reaches for the camera.

"Don't forget you promised no more than 10 pictures..."

"I know, I know Zoe. No more than ten and don't do the squeaky, motherly, crazy lady voice."

"I never said that last part!"

"I know but I had a mother too you know. That was always my biggest problem with having boyfriends over, she never quit trying to be the "cool mother" and it always cause them to run away with their tails between their legs."

We all start laughing as my mom explains how one guy tried to literally run out the sliding glass door but didn't notice that it was closed until he ran right into it. Now that I think about it, quite a lot of the stories she tells me have guys running into things trying to get away. I wonder what made my dad stay. Hmm....

"Honey, I know I already took ten pictures but can I take a couple more? I didn't get any with Chase because I started too soon and you just looked so beautiful I had to take a couple and-"

"You already took pictures?" I asked.

"Um, yeah. While you were lost in thought. No doubt imagining Chase in his tuxedo..."

"MOM!" I was so embarrassed my cheeks blushed, well, it felt like they blush but in reality they didn't. I don't know why but I've never been able to blush.

Suddenly, a knock rattled the door. I didn't even hear the car drive up! Shoot! Am I supposed to wait in my room? Do I answer the door? How do I act? What if he just stares at me? Oh my goodness, I think I'm going to faint again...

"Zoe, are you going to get the door?" My dad asks.

"Um, can you get it dad? I don't want to stand there awkward and this way I get the whole image of his face when he walks in."

"Okay, if you insist." My dad saunters over to the door to welcome in a very eager ad nervous looking Chase. He had a black tuxedo with a white shirt underneath and a blue tie that matched my dress. In his hand he had a clear box with my corsage. It was the most beautiful sea blue with purple accents and the flower was magnificent. I smiled as he awkwardly walked through our front door and into the living room. As he glanced at me, I noticed that he was afraid. Hmm...what is he afraid of?

"Hey Zoe. You look gorgeous..."

"Thanks Chase."

As soon as he stepped within a foots distance from me, a beam of light enveloped us as my mom snapped a picture.

"I know, I know. Not too many. It's just that you guys look so sweet!"

"Okay, but just a couple more..." I smile as my mom eagerly directs us into positions.

Five minutes and 100 pictures later...we were shuffled out the door by my parents as they gave us hugs and said goodbye. I smiled as I saw his yellow mustang in the driveway. Squealing, I ran to the car.

"I am so excited! I get to ride in my dream car!!!"

Smirking, he looked right at me and said "It doesn't have to be just for transportation..."

My jaw dropped at the realization of what he meant and i playfully slapped his arm saying,

"You better be on your best behavior or my daddy's going to get you."

"I know" was all he said as he opened my door. Such a gentleman. I am so lucky. Funny how just weeks ago I didn't like him at all because I thought he was rude and arrogant and now he is so sweet and kind.

When he got into the car, he looked at me.

"You really are beautiful. Beautiful and gorgeous and amazing and full of life."

I really did blush this time as my mind scrambled to respond. Luckily I didn't have to as he leaned in to kiss me. Sweet as ever, the kiss was gentle and short and as he backed away to drive, it left me wanting more.

_ <3 _

I am so sorry for the wait. I had to finish up school and college and I just got back from two summer camps but I'm hoping to finish this book really soon as its taken me a year just to write 15 chapters. It's very hard because along the way I have lost my inspiration for this book because it was mostly based off of my last year of high school but considering I am now graduated, its not easy to write the ending. I do sincerely love this book as it is my first and has been doing great on readings and views though it would be cool to receive even more...thank you so much for sticking with it to the end!

- Duckaholic7