CHAPTER TWENTY-NINE

Start from the beginning

Maces, battle axes, spears, swords, hammers, helmets, and more. Each piece of weaponry brought a sense of excitement as my eyes touched each one. A nostalgic feeling drifted over me, as my mind went into overtime, thinking of all the ways I could use those weapons.

A loud belly laugh caught my attention and immediately felt a smile arise on my face. Chief Asmund had his back to me but I knew it was him. He had his arm locked around a poor boy's neck, holding him in a playful coke hold rubbing his knuckles into the top of the boy's head. He turned around at the sound of the doors of the city hall closing.

Chief Asmund was always big and burly for as long as I've known him. Roughed furs and torn leather covered his body. His shaggy red hair was stuck out beneath the Chief's helmet he wore proudly on his head and a short red stubble covered the lower half of his face. His clear blue eyes caught mine and lit up with so much love.

Chief Asmund was like a father not just to me, but everyone else. At first glance, his appearance would send you in the other direction but what was in his heart, no one could turn away from. His name means divine protection, which was all he ever showed us and his villagers. Protection.

Chief Asmund immediately let go of the boy that was in his arms, causing him to plop face-down on the floor.

"Aislin!" He exclaimed with his gruff voice.

Chief Asmund was in front of us before we could blink, wrapping his arms around me and Kingsley. With one of us in each of his arms, he began jumping up and down while squeezing us.

Kingsley and I embraced him and laughed as he continued to pull us off the ground effortlessly and dance around the room.

"Oh my stars! I can't believe you gals are here! It's so good to see your lovely faces!" He exclaimed. He set us down gently and pulled away but keeping his hands on our shoulders, "What dragon's name are you doing here?"

"It's good to see you too, old friend," I chuckled, "But I'm afraid we can't stay long. I need to see Méabh."

"It's very urgent. King Kole was kidnapped." Kingsley said quietly.

Chief Asmund's face hardened slightly and he nodded, understanding the gravity of the situation. "Well I am glad you guys came." He began, "She's over with the young ones."

Kingsley and I looked back to a corner of the city hall and saw a familiar head of dark brown hair. We made our way to her and the group of children. All of their faces were lit up with bright smiles and bubbling laughter seemed to overflow from them.

"Tag, you're it!" Méabh laughed as she tapped a young girl on her shoulder.

The little girl seemed no more than 5 years old, and an angry, yet playful, pout grew on her face. Then a look of determination, and the little girl leapt towards Méabh, trying to get her.

Méabh stumbled backwards and fell on her butt. The little girl seized the opportunity to get her and jumped on her stomach, straddling her.

"Tag! YOU'RE it!" the little girl laughed evilly.

I watched in amusement as Méabh looked over the little girl's shoulder looking straight at a young boy who was standing behind the young girl. He seemed no older than six years old.