19. Beside Every Great Man Is A Great Woman

Start from the beginning

"You're not wrong." I laughed sleepily.

*

"Did we really have to go this early?" I yawned as I slid into the driver's seat of my car, Beth happily climbing into the passenger seat. It was half eight in the morning, and Spencer was dragging himself to Aaron's car with Jack.

"Yes, the girls were pretty emphatic that we only have today to find an outfit." Beth said, rolling her eyes with a smile as I started the engine.

"I already have a few dresses I could wear." I said matter-of-factly, pulling away from the house and waving to Spencer and Aaron as we drove off first.

"That's what I told the girls too but..." she heaved a sigh. "Apparently the event calls for gowns not dresses." I stifled a yawn and rolled my eyes.

I could just tell that today was going to be fabulous.

"Oh my goodness!" Penelope squealed as Beth and I arrived - ten minutes late apparently - in the doorway of the shopping centre. "This is so exciting!" She thrilled, throwing her arms around me.

"Is it?" I yawned and she pulled back with a scowl.

"Melanie Hotchner you did not just say that." She snapped defensively.

"It's a New Year's Eve party. And?" I shrugged and JJ, Emily, Penelope, Savannah - Morgan's girlfriend - and Beth all looked at each other and smirked, shaking their heads in awe.

"I don't get what the big deal is." I admitted honestly as we made our way inside the shopping centre.

"You can totally tell you're dating Spencer." Emily snickered.
"What?" I asked self-consciously.
"You and Spencer are one of the same person my Princess," Penelope explained, looping her arm through mine.

"I mean, you're so similar it's scary. He'd be saying the exact same thing about an FBI ceremony with the director himself if he were here right now." I rolled my eyes and yawned again.

*

We stopped for lunch six hours later, my feet throbbing and my arms aching carrying bags for Beth and myself as she helped the others with their outfits. I took the opportunity to call Spencer.

"Melanie!" He gushed, sounding flustered.
"Spence? You okay?"

Penelope cast her eyes at me across the table as she sipped on her straw but I merely shrugged; I didn't know what was wrong.

"Oh my god this is a nightmare!" He gasped and I smirked, covering my mouth so I wouldn't laugh. "I'll be seeing suits in my sleep!" He whispered and I frowned.

"Spencer why are you whispering?" I asked and Penelope smirked opposite me.

"Because I'm in a dressing room and if anybody hears me talking to you they'll probably strangle me with a tie!" He hissed and I chuckled without meaning to. "It's not funny!" He gushed.

"I'm sorry, I'm sorry, you're right, it's not funny whatsoever," I said seriously and the girls all cast their eyes at me, entertained. "If it's any consolation I've been going through the exact same torture all morning."

"Why couldn't we go shopping ourselves?" He hissed and I put a hand to my forehead.
"Why didn't I think of that?!" I gushed.

"If we would've known in Vegas we could've done our own shopping without the torture we're being subjected to!" I smirked and bit my lip.

"It'll all be over soon love." I told him carefully and he groaned.
"I hope you're right."
"Who're you talking to?" Henry's voice asked on the other line and I smiled; Henry was there with Will and when Spencer was around, he and Henry were inseparable.