.28

| Mia |

I shot up from the chair.

Conrad saw me and immediately came towards me , his eyes drifting towards Mrs Smith.

As he reached us, I could see how unnerved he looked. The sorrow on his face was breaking my heart.

He gave me a slight nod asking me to follow him.

It was clear he didn't want to talk in front of Mrs Smith.

But she seemed like she was in her own world. She  had a faraway look on her face . .she didn't even notice Conrad or me leaving.

As I followed him, I prayed from the heavens. Asking for mercy. Reciting every single religious scripture I knew about.

He led me to the second floor and he didn't use the elevator. Which I was
glad for. I didn't think I could survive in a confined place right now when I was already feeling my windpipe getting tight.

We reached the second floor and the second his feet touched the floor , he turned around.

I was breathless and the look on his face was enough to instill dread. .

"Say it. " I asked him in a pathetic whisper.

Conrad kept staring at me. .his eyes had a wet sheen to them . .as if. .as if he had cried.

He pursed his lips in a tight line .

"He tried to take his life."

One sentence.

One sentence had the power to flip my world upside down. I didn't know how to react to that. .all I could say was. .

A broken "What. . ."

He nodded. Pushing his hand in his rumpled hair.

"I reached him in the last second. The way he reacted to —," he swallowed ," I knew something was off. I followed him and — he had the gun right here ," Conrad pointed towards his temples. " He had it here, Mia and the only thing that saved him was me startling him. The bullet grazed the side of his neck."

Tears spilled down my face.

I'll leave if you stop being Mia . I'll leave if you stop feeling like Mia. .

"He wanted me to forgive him , Rad. He wanted to—," I broke down at the end , sobbing hard and gently he pulled me in.

I sobbed pathetically on to his chest while he continued to tell me everything was going to be okay.

How was it going to be okay when Zack was here because of me?

I had to go around be a bitch. Flex my muscles . .

"Mia!"

I didn't turn around at her.

I couldn't.

Her sneakers sliding on the marble floor and I heard her saying "let me." to Conrad.

I was shifted around . .as I felt two thin arms going around me. She pressed the back of my head gently.

"It's okay. .breath in breath out. .it's okay, Mia. ." She kept on whispering.

"I — he's here because of me, Allie. It's not okay. Stop saying that. . ." I wasn't sure if she heard me or not because I was mumbling.

She let me cry as much as I could and when the sobs went down . .I calmed down a little. . pulling back . .staring at the face of my best friend.

Allie.

I was so in my head , I didn't think about how did she know? I never told her anything. How did she—

"Gloria told me everything. She's on her way. " Allie answered the question in my eyes.

And then she took my hand in hers and started to walk. Dragging me behind.

First she made me sit on the bench and then she got down beside me. My hand I hers.

"Some best friend you're, Mia. " She said smiling.

"I'm sorry. I thought—"

"Can you not think for me? Can you stop taking decisions for me?" She mocked playfully. " I'm one town away . Not a continent away, dumbass."

I nodded.

I was dumbass here and I accepted it.

"I'm sorry."

I leaned towards her and placed my head on her shoulder.

"You should be. Gloria told me every single thing you chose not to. So the guy used you for a bet? And then he asked for your. . blessings." Her voice was dry.

"Yeah. . something like that." I sniffed.

Allie sighed. " You know, if Dennis had pulled up that crap on me. .I would have slit his throat."

"Sounds like you."

"Exactly but I'm not the one this thing happened with. It happened with you. I can't— a third person can't judge your life so. .tell me what's in you? What's in your heart for him? "

I didn't need to think.

"I. .want him back. After everything he did to me. .you would think I would hate his guts but. .," I trailed off.

"You want him back. .then get him back." She said it in a duh manner.

"You think he would forgive me—"

She cut me off.

"Why do I keep hearing this word? Forgive forgive. .what the— it's clear you're in love with him. Forgiveness is a part of love. If I don't keep forgiving Dennis or if he don't keep forgiving me for all the shit I put him through. .how the hell is our relationship going to work? Just get your man ,Mia." She said gently.

"I'm scared of his. . reaction.. ."

"What's the worse he can do?"

"Never want to see my face again?"

Allie chuckled .

"Did I miss something?"

We glanced up at Gloria . .her golden hair pulled up into a sleek bun. This was the most causal I had ever seen her be in. An oversized t shirt and shorts.

"Move." She suddenly said and I squeezed into Allie.

I was sandwiched between my best friends.

"I have to say. .I like Mia's love life more than yours." Gloria said eyeing her nails.

"I consider that an insult." Allie smiled.

"I mean you met your man in school, I met mine in a bathroom and she. .," Gloria sighed. " She's going to get hers in a hospital. Mia took the cake."

"I didn't. It's yet to be decided by the cake if it wants me or not." I mumbled.

"Relax. It's not going to be the end of the world. It's just a guy—"

"Would you survive without Dennis, dear?" Gloria asked .

Allie seemed struck. Tongue tied.

"Exactly." Gloria commented. " You can't survive without the one."

××××××××××××××